photo supreme lacks version panel?

fbungarz

photo supreme lacks version panel?

Post by fbungarz » 12 Feb 13 2:55

Hi all,
where has IDI's version panel disappeared too in PSU ?
Not being able to see all versions of one image side by side completely defies the purpose of a version set. Is that no longer possible? Why???
Thanks,
Frank

[I have edited this post to reflect Mike's comment that it is about what IDI called a version panel, not the version bar]
Last edited by fbungarz on 14 Feb 13 4:23, edited 1 time in total.

Hert

Re: photo supreme lacks version bar?

Post by Hert » 12 Feb 13 6:25

First of all, stop expecting PSU to be identical to IDI.

Right click -> See more -> From this Version Set
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 12 Feb 13 7:20

Right click -> See more -> From this Version Set
You can't be serious! This is REALLY bad news!!!
(1) This means there is no convenient fast way how to click through images to immediately see which ones have which versions?
(2) I thought, even with the version wizard gone it was still possibly to manually assign versions! Now in IDI 5 this was a simple "drag & drop"...

Yes, yes, I know, I am not allowed to compare, but this is very disappointing and in itself is a reason why PSU cannot possibly replace IDI.

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Feb 13 7:22

fbungarz wrote:(2) I thought, even with the version wizard gone it was still possibly to manually assign versions! Now in IDI 5 this was a simple "drag & drop"...
Drag a thumb over another thumb to set a version manually

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 12 Feb 13 9:00

I understand that you really tried to streamline PSU's interface and the ability to open as many different panels as possible in IDI definitely had a tendency clutter up the workspace.

But PSU is the other extreme now!
It is very useful to assign labels and have access to the image's details (see my other post on that topic...)
It is extremely convenient to be able to see immediately all versions of an image without haggling through a right-click menu.

Here is why:
In IDI I use a version script to automatically make a copy, assign it as a version, open it in Photoshop, edit it, return to IDI and print a custom template - voilá a nice little guidebook of the different species...
Now, the script to have a version bar helps to at least see if versions of that image are available (thanks!).
Still - all my images are NEF, DNG+JPG, so ALL are versioned, and without scrolling through the viewer there is now no way to see if a separate edited version exists :(
Also: How can I select ONLY a specific version of multiple images. In IDI that was a pain, clicking through the images one by one, selecting the version I wanted, in PSU - no longer possible?

I think, having no quick access to see the versions of an image defies the purpose of versions.

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Feb 13 9:13

Not sure what you're asking for.

1. You can see all images in a version set with right click -> Show More.
2. Or you can click the tabs of a version set,
3. Or you can open a version set in the LightTable

Hert

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 13 Feb 13 21:26

What I am asking for is an easy way to see all thumbs side by side in a general window and display all different versions of the selected thumb at the same time. This feature was called the "version bar" in IDI and it opened at the bottom of the page - VERY USEFUL if you quickly want to check a few images and their versions.
Seeing both an overview of all images PLUS the versions of the selected thumb is NO longer possible in PSU !
1. You can see all images in a version set with right click -> Show More.
This switches to a display of the versions only and I loose the overview of all thumbs.
2. Or you can click the tabs of a version set
Even worse: it only displays one particular version.
3. Or you can open a version set in the LightTable
Again this only displays the versions of ONE image.

I try to explain:
When i want to make a particular selection of a few images, but not of their main (or display) version I am now forced to scroll through all versions of each image and select the one I need. This is very cumbersome. In IDI I click on each thumb that I am interested in and can directly see if the version that I want exists, then I select that version rapidly from the version bar and hit CTRL+B to make the selection: now I have a basket with the versions I want, quick, painless. Even more rapidly I can select a few images and execute a script collect versions - done.
In PSU the major drag is that for each image that I select in the thumbs overview I cannot quickly see if the version I want is available. I need to scroll through each image individually - a real pain...!

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Feb 13 1:54

This switches to a display of the versions only and I loose the overview of all thumbs.
And click the "back" button and you're back where you were.

Hert

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 14 Feb 13 2:49

fbungarz wrote:What I am asking for is an easy way to see all thumbs side by side in a general window and display all different versions of the selected thumb at the same time. This feature was called the "version bar" in IDI and it opened at the bottom of the page
If it helps communication, I only want to mention that the stuff that opens at the bottom of the window is commonly called the "version panel." The colored bar displayed within the thumbnail that differentiates between the Main Version and the Subversions is commonly called the "version bar."

danaltick

Post by danaltick » 14 Feb 13 3:16

I must say I'm lovin' that back button (and forward too). Now if you would only make it work with my mouse thumb buttons I'd be like a kid in a candy shop :).

Dan

fbungarz

Re: photo supreme lacks version panel?

Post by fbungarz » 14 Feb 13 3:29

The back and forward button are very neat and THAT is a very valuable feature that had been requested for IDI 5 for ages and now finally made it into PSU. Great. Still it does not address the issue. It is very inconvenient and confusing to always have to click back and forth and having the option of opening a version panel (thanks Mike) while the thumbnail overview remains open is, in my humble opinion, much, much more intuitive.
Again - I do understand that the idea was to simplify IDI's crowded interface, but the ability to customize your workspace has suffered much that way.
There are SOME panels that stay open, the new share panel (facebook, flikr, email, whatever...) pops up and other panels don't disappear. Why not also the option to open an unobtrusive version panel at the bottom screen? Could that be a Mantis request? (How does that mantis stuff work anyways?).

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Feb 13 7:54

*Everything* could be a feature request. It's you requesting a feature.

Hert

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » 16 Feb 13 0:01

danaltick wrote:
I must say I'm lovin' that back button (and forward too). Now if you would only make it work with my mouse thumb buttons I'd be like a kid in a candy shop :).

Dan
I would like for this to work too. If there are keyboard shortcuts for moving forward and back, we might be able to make it work by programing our mouse buttons with that combination.

Edit: I found an existing mantis request for this should anyone else like to add a note to increment it's popularity. :)
http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=1480

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Feb 13 15:33

There are shortcuts for history back/forward

http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16082

Hert

danaltick

Post by danaltick » 16 Feb 13 21:30

Hert,

Yes that is true. Those shortcuts also exist in the internet browsers and file browsers along with the mouse thumb buttons :).

Dan