Scrolling through thumbnails

Roman

Scrolling through thumbnails

Post by Roman » 30 Aug 21 8:44

Is there a way to configure PS so that one click of the mouse wheel scrolls up one row of thumbnails? To me the default scrolling distance appears to be somewhat illogical and makes scrolling through thumbnails painful. This is particularly the case when using large (300%) thumbnail sizes.
Roman

Hert

Re: Scrolling through thumbnails

Post by Hert » 30 Aug 21 10:13

You should be able to configure the mouse scroll wheel in the settings of the OS. PSU uses that as the base to calculate the scroll distance.
When changing the mouse scroll speed then restart PSU because PSU reads that on start.

Mine is set to 3.
MouseScroll.png
MouseScroll.png (148.88 KiB) Viewed 385 times
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

Roman

Post by Roman » 30 Aug 21 12:01

Thanks for the prompt response Hert. I am using a laptop with a single 1920 x 1080 monitor, which is a quite popular resolution. I have already tried the scroll wheel setting using 1,2 and 3 without making a satisfactory improvement to the way 300% thumbnails scroll. If you have a similar resolution monitor and set your thumbnail size to 300% I think you will see that it is not exactly easy to review the thumbnails as the thumbnail "window" appears to scroll rather than appearing in a fixed position for a given number of wheel clicks.

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Aug 21 14:04

As stated above, you should restart PSU after changing the mouse scroll setting
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

Roman

Post by Roman » 31 Aug 21 11:57

Sorry Hert, I should have stated that I restarted PSU each time I changed the mouse setting. I know that this may seem a trivial matter but from a usability perspective one click of the mouse wheel should scroll an integral number of thumbnail rows. That way you keep your eye still as the thumbnail changes at the same spot on the screen and you do not need to keep moving your eye to where the new thumbnail has been positioned is on the screen. It might be just me, but I find the way thumbnails drift up or down the screen as you scroll quite disconcerting.

Hert

Post by Hert » 31 Aug 21 12:26

The scroll button scrolls in the way that it is configured in Windows.
How you describe it you would prefer a pageup/pagedown style of behavior. In that case I recommend that you use a programmable mouse where you can configure two extra mouse button to use the page up or page down. Most modern mice have two programmable side buttons you can use for such specific behavior.

Roman

Post by Roman » 01 Sep 21 11:49

Thanks Hert, I will investigate the mouse option you suggested.

Roman

Post by Roman » 02 Sep 21 12:38

Still no joy, with 300% thumbnails and mouse scroll set to 1 line the page down skips thumbnails, i.e.does not display the next thumbnail, but the one after the next. Same with page up only in reverse.

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Sep 21 14:18

mouse scroll set to 1 line
Scrolling one line means: scrolling one line....that means one line going up or down. That is how mouse scrolling functions.
does not display the next thumbnail
Selecting the next image is not scrolling. If you want to use the mouse to press the right or left cursor key then configure your extra mouse buttons as a right and left cursor key press.
Go to the mouse configuration settings of your mouse hardware (not that in Windows). For logitech you should use their SetPoint software. If you use a different brand then check what software comes with it to configure the extra mouse buttons. There configure the sidebuttons to do a right and left cursor key press. That will select the next thumb

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 02 Sep 21 19:59

You can use the down (or up) arrow key. Then you can keep your eye on the last (or first) row, which will stay in position with the images scrolling one row at a time. It sounds fairly close to what you need.

Hert, I wonder if it is worth having an option for "vertical fit" in the same way as PSU alredy - and usefully - has "horizontal fit"? Just a thought.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------