Migrate from IMatch to PSU

quartz

Migrate from IMatch to PSU

Post by quartz » 08 Jul 21 10:01

Hi all,

I am investigation my options to switch from the Microsoft world to the Apple ecosystem.

The only application holding me back in the Windows environment is IMatch 2020.

Now I wonder how big the effort would be to migrate my photo-database from IMatch to PSU.

In IMatch I only use categories which reside only in the database.
My images are in the state they left the camera, there are no keywords in the files, no XMP tags, no XMP labels, no XMP ratings, no XMP sidecars, ...

In an ideal world PSU could import the IMatch database but as far as I understand that is not supported.

IMatch can export its' categories including the assigned file paths and names to an .imcsx file.

Would PSU be able to import that .imcsx file and reconstruct my categories tree with the assigned files?

I can of course download a PSU trial and experiment with all this, but perhaps there is someone around who has been through this exercise and who has the answers and knows the pitfalls….

Thanks in advance.

Hert

Re: Migrate from IMatch to PSU

Post by Hert » 12 Jul 21 8:22

A warm welcome to the user-to-user forum.
It's very surprising that a product that claims to not lock anyone in is in fact locking you in for such important metadata. And sadly now gives you a hard time to migrate to another product because of that. My definition of "locking in" differs here: Photo Supreme will *never* lock you in. Every metadata you enter in the Photo Supreme application for an image file becomes available as standardized XMP metadata.

I would like to receive one or two of such imcsx sidecar files and check if that holds "accessible"/"readable" metadata (probably in yet another proprietary format or structure). Can you attach a (zipped) copy of a few of such files? You can also send them to the support email support@idimager.com.

Thank you
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

quartz

Post by quartz » 12 Jul 21 9:24

Hert wrote:
12 Jul 21 8:22
It's very surprising that a product that claims to not lock anyone in is in fact locking you in for such important data.
[...]
I would love to see one or two of such imcsx sidecar files and check if that holds "accessible" metadata
Thank you for responding.

Please do not jump to conclusions.....

IMatch is not locking me in, it is my choice to have everything in the database alone.
Another choice would be to have information traveling with the images, i.e. writing keywords etc. to image XMP.
It is entirely my choice not to do so and thus make information exchange at image level impossible.

If PSU can not read the .imcsx file I can still change my approach and embed everything in the image XMP.
That would imply having to modify 30.000 image files, something I am not really looking forward to....

The .imcxs format is the export format for categories held in the IMatch database, it is not a sidecar file.
It is one file holding categories and file paths for selected categories.
As far as I can tell it is nothing proprietary, I can read it with something as simple as Windows Notepad.

I will prepare a sample later today and send it to your support mail address.

Thank you.

quartz

Post by quartz » 12 Jul 21 13:21

Hert wrote:
12 Jul 21 8:22
I would like to receive one or two of such imcsx sidecar files and check if that holds "accessible"/"readable"
[...]
You can also send them to the support email support@idimager.com.
Sample file should be in your mailbox.