Not understanding "Places"

crabuback

Not understanding "Places"

Post by crabuback » 04 Jun 21 12:16

I have several thousand pictures that have the Catalog label "Missouri". I have added several cities under Missouri. Many of my photos have an entry for a city (in the middle panel of the GEO Tag box as well as the state of Missouri. Some of these cities were imported from Media Pro and others have been either manually added, or were added during a GPS lookup.

Opening the Catalog tab under places, it shows about 13,000 entries under Missouri, but each city listed has 0 entries. The details for Missouri is identical to the ones for each of the cities. What am I missing here? Should I not see entries for each of these cities. Looking at other Catalog labels such as people, this seems to be how it works. Do I have to go back in under the "Labels" and add the city there? That would be a lot of work.

G8DHE

Re: Not understanding "Places"

Post by G8DHE » 04 Jun 21 13:43

Have you got the Geo Location Processing level set correctly ?
geo_level.JPG
geo_level.JPG (152.42 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

crabuback

Post by crabuback » 04 Jun 21 14:29

My settings box doesn't look like that. The line that starts with GEO Location processing is not even there, and I can't figure out how to make it appear.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 8.20.59 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 8.20.59 AM.jpg (67.02 KiB) Viewed 210 times

crabuback

Post by crabuback » 04 Jun 21 14:32

I just realized that your screen shot was under read settings. Yes my read settings look exactly like that

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 04 Jun 21 15:03

So your Geo Location processing is set for up to Location level ?
In which case it should be able to create the hierarchy all the way from Location to the top level
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 04 Jun 21 18:37

The Geo Location processing can be confusing, especially if you have legacy data with labels that you defined prior to this feature having been implemented in PhotoSupreme.
In my case the feature sometimes creates labels that are not accurately placed in my catalog tree. That typically only happens, when the system creates a label for which the parent categories (say the province/state or country) don't exist. It is easily remedied by cleaning up these labels manually, placing them where they belong. I am now in the habit, of checking those automatically created labels ever so often. Once in a while I go through the catalog tree and clean things up. Overall that seems to work fairly well. And once the tree is cleaned an erroneous label is not yet again created, but the correct one recognized, when I geolocate a bunch of other new images...