Smugmug question

Larry56

Smugmug question

Post by Larry56 » 29 May 21 19:01

When I upload to a Smugmug gallery in PSu if the new photo has the same file name as an existing it is added as a second photo rather than replace the existing photo.

I have contacted Smugmug about this and apparently that is by design. They suggested I use their web uploader as it has an option to replace but that is totally unacceptable to me.

It would be nice if replacing was an option within PSu but it may be an API limitation.

Does anyone using Smugmug have a suggestion for an app that has an option to replace?

As I recall Lightroom had a plugin that did that but I don't use Lightroom anymore.

snowman1

Re: Smugmug question

Post by snowman1 » 29 May 21 21:59

I can't answer your question directly but to get round similar and other issues uploading to Flickr I no longer use PSU to upload. Instead I use PSU to "share to folder" to put my pictures, with the sizing and metadata options I require, into a temporary staging folder. Then I use Flickr's web uploader to upload the contents of that folder. Whilst it's not a one-step process it's straightforward and does what I want without hassle or errors. (In one respect it also suits my workflow a little better but that's a different subject). It may be worth you trying.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 May 21 13:47

Instead I use PSU to "share to folder" to put my pictures
Tip, you can also sync a portfolio with a folder. And then upload that folder.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 31 May 21 14:36

Thanks Hert, good tip.
Snowman1

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 31 May 21 16:19

Thanks for the tip and suggestion. Seems like a simple solution in my workflow.

I can use PSu to upload direct to Smugmug for the first step. Since my photos are for personal sharing my wife likes to offer suggestions on changes to captions which is when I need to re-upload. Your suggestions works well with this workflow. Sorry I didn't think of it myself.

I know I can edit direct in Smugmug but her suggestions are usually very good and I like to make the changes on my computer too.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 31 May 21 21:30

I know the feeling - when I cannot decide which pictures deserve to go on flickr - eg between two versions of the same subject - I rely on my other half's suggestions!
Snowman1