upgraded to V6 and re-mapping folder does not work

fbungarz

upgraded to V6 and re-mapping folder does not work

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 3:42

Hi Hert,
I finally decided to upgrade to version 6.To avoid loosing all my custom registry settings, as you suggested, I decided to not install Photo Supreme 6 in a separate ..\Photo Supreme 6 subfolder, but directly inside the folder where version 5 resides ..\IDimager Products\Photo Supreme x64.

Nevertheless, I still lost ALL my custom settings such as the captions below the thumbnails, the version bars, etc. etc.

Worse! Before upgrading I moved all my images from a 2TB harddrive to a 4TB harddrive, replacing one drive in my PC with another one. Before upgrading from version 5 to version 6 I made sure the new drive was correctly mapped with all its folders, then did a compact, a backup and only then the upgrade.
Now, in version 6 the drive is being displayed as missing. And "map to physical drive" does not work.
PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (299.95 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
:?

So good for a smooth update, I guess...

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Frank

fbungarz

Re: upgraded to V6 and re-mapping folder does not work

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 4:31

I tried various things now.

Without restart of Windows, I temporarily changed the drive letter from F: to E: via disk manager and did a remap. The program took a long wile to complete, but then told me a few thousands images had successfully been remapped.
After the process two drives were displayed, one with a red dot (F:), one new one (E:) without the red dot, all files apparently successfully remapped to E:

Unfortunately upon restarting PSu, the F: drive disappeared, and now the E: drive has the red dot. And I am told all images are not there...

So, next try, change drive letter via disk manager and do a Windows restart, followed by remapping. Again two drives, one with letter E, one with letter F, one with red dot, the other one "pretending" to be remapped correctly. Again upon restart only one drive - with the red dot, files that are there not found by PSu.

Curiously enough, after the remap the PSu database shows me two drives, one with red dot, the other without, both with the same drive serial number.

So, I tried it again:
Change drive letter, restart Windows, restart PSU, remap the drive letter, now in addition to that also remove the folder (= drive with red dot), restart PSu - the folder with the red dot is again there, the program pretends to not know the files that are clearly there.

OK, then I tried to map subfolders in the same drive. The mapping does not work, always getting the message "0 folders remapped". So I tried to re-map a single image in one of the folders. Now the remapping works and all files in that folder are suddenly found. But the folder itself is still marked with the red dot as not being correctly mapped and upon restart the image(s) that I just successfully remapped is unmapped again!

What is really, really strange. I swapped the old drive for the new one before the upgrade to version 6 and restarted the database in version 5, remapped the disk drive there successfully. And now only after the upgrade I run into these problems! Suddenly PSU6 tells me the drive is not there, which PSU5 recognized without any problems!!!

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 4:35

BTW - at least it seems my other settings migrated without a glitch. Only I cannot figure out how to add my custom thumb captions ...
EDIT - found it. All good now...

BUT mapping does not work...
;-(

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 4:44

Actually, I take that back...

After having successfully mapped ANY one single image, all the lower folders are displayed as correctly mapped, only the upper ones are not:
PSU_6_mapping-fails_02.jpg
PSU_6_mapping-fails_02.jpg (281.98 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
And gone again upon restart:
PSU_6_mapping-fails_03.jpg
PSU_6_mapping-fails_03.jpg (261.99 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Apr 21 12:26

The way drives are identified by PSU has not changed. And so your issue could not be related to the V6 upgrade (not that it matters).

To remap a drive:
1. Right click on the root folder of the drive (make sure that you don't have a custom root configured)
2. Right click and select "Map to the correct physical path"
3. Select the root folder in the open dialog
4. Let PSU make the changes
5. Optionally restart to see the result
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 17:21

Hert -
The way drives are identified by PSU has not changed. And so your issue could not be related to the V6 upgrade (not that it matters).
I was afraid you would say that. Unfortunately, I did follow all the steps you outlined. But it does NOT work!
To remap a drive:
1. Right click on the root folder of the drive (make sure that you don't have a custom root configured)
Yes, done:
1_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
1_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
2. Right click and select "Map to the correct physical path"
There is no "correct physical path"´, only a "correct physical folder":
So I selected that ...
3. Select the root folder in the open dialog
I select the F: drive, which is the same as the letter (and serial number!) shown in PSu:
2_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
2_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (91.85 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
4. Let PSU make the changes
PSu makes no changes! Instead it tells me no folders have been remapped:
1_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
1_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
5. Optionally restart to see the result
Upon restart nothing has changed!

If you do not believe me, I am happy to send you a little screenshot movie that illustrates that this is not working. But I would think the screenshgots supplied here convincingly illustrate that this is not working.

BTW - I double checked the drive serial number using SyncBack. It is the exact same serial as the one shown in PSu. So, PSU has the drive letter right and the drive serial right, but still fails to "see" the folders and files on that new drive.
Like I said, I did successfully remap in V5 and then upgraded to V6 and now the entire hard drive is shown as "not there".

And again, I tried changing the drive letter in Windows and then using the remap feature. PSu then did remap to the correct new drive letter, but upon restart showed the harddrive with the new letter again as "missing".

I will take some screenshots of that again and post them here.

Frank
Attachments
3_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
3_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 18:13

OK, I just changed the drive letter from F: to E:, restarted the PC.
Starting PSu, remapping from F: to E:
4_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
4_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
This time no message that no folders have been mapped...
Waiting, the remapping takes it course. It takes a while. Program reports "not working" but in there is progress in Task Manger, so I just wait ...

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 18:23

Ok, the process is done, 3310 folders "supposedly" remapped. But there are already few quirks. The old drive F: remains visible and is marked as missing. The new drive E: has no image count:
5_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
5_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Now restarting PSu...
And this is the result: Now the folder E: (which was just "successfully" remapped) is shown as missing (although of course it is there!):
6_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
6_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (48.18 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
So, clearly, this is not working. And curiously in V5 it did work, and now in V6 it does not...

No idea about any changes from version to version. But this is clearly NOT working.

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Apr 21 18:51

What kind of drive is this new F drive? Can you share some details?
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 21:16

It is an internal SATA drive using the same SATA connector to the motherboard as the previous drive (I simply swapped them) a Seagate Barracuda 4TB.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 20 Apr 21 21:41

And prior to swapping the drives, I used SyncBack to mirror the content from the 2TB to the 4TB drive.

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Apr 21 7:37

Can you share the result of this script:

Code: Select all

var
  AImg: TImageItem;
begin
  AImg := TImageItem.Create(nil);
  try
    AImg._FileName := 'e:\test.jpg';
    AImg.UpdateFileInfoBase;
    Say2(AImg.FileNameDrive, 'Medium Loaded: ' + iif(AImg.MediumLoaded, 'yes', 'no'));
  finally
    AImg.Free;
  end;
  AImg := TImageItem.Create(nil);
  try
    AImg._FileName := 'f:\test.jpg';
    AImg.UpdateFileInfoBase;
    Say2(AImg.FileNameDrive, 'Medium Loaded: ' + iif(AImg.MediumLoaded, 'yes', 'no'));
  finally
    AImg.Free;
  end;
end;

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 21 Apr 21 16:14

Hi Hert,
yesterday I changed the drive letter back to F:. I do have Backblaze running to regularly backup the F: drive with my images and it only works, if the drive has the correct letter assigned.
In PSu I also remapped the drive back from E: to F:, with the same results: I get the message that 3,310 folders have successfully been remapped, but then two disks are shown, the E: drive marked red as "missing" and the F: drive without image file counts. Upon restart only F: is there and marked as "missing" - even though Windows of course recognizes the file.

Running your script, it tells me "E: Medium loaded: no".

Here a screenshot:
7_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg
7_PSU_6_mapping-fails.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
The medium IS loaded by Windows, but with drive letter F: - and that drive letter is being displayed in PSu not E:

Thanks for looking into this.

Frank

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Apr 21 17:49

Hi Frank, the script gives two messages: one for the E drive and one for the F drive. Are both reported as not loaded?

Can you try what happens when you disable BackBlaze and then restart PSU?

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 21 Apr 21 18:02

As you can see in that screenshot, it gives me only this one message that the E: drive is not loaded, nothing about an F: drive, which is shown as missing...