P Supreme 6 and searches

Raptor99x

P Supreme 6 and searches

Post by Raptor99x » 18 Apr 21 22:16

Hello,
I am a new Photo Supreme user and have 2 questions for the more experienced users.
1. I have uploaded my storage drive's folders to PSu and have begun to create categories in 'Portfolio'. When I perform a search using the search box in the upper right hand section of the screen, it often brings up an unrelated image, or a triplicate of an existing image. Does this sound like a software glitch, or is it user error?
2. I'm not entirely clear on the advantage, or disadvantage of using 'Categories' as opposed to 'Portfolio'. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

snowman1

Re: P Supreme 6 and searches

Post by snowman1 » 19 Apr 21 15:11

'Categories' as opposed to 'Portfolio'
- this is covered in the "quick start - cataloging" PDF (see under the question mark logo bottom left of PSU). Basically portfolios are intended to be the equivalent of an artist/photograper's physical portfolios, i.e. selected images to show off your work. It sounds like at the moment you should be using categories - this is your basic organisation tool for all your images. It is also a way of labelling them in a way that can be shared with others.

It is true that portfolios are flexible and offer an extra layer of organisation. Also note that an image can be put in more than one category and more than one portfolio.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

Raptor99x

Post by Raptor99x » 19 Apr 21 16:46

Thank you for your reply and and explanation. I had read the manual but it had not been as clearly stated as in your post.

Raptor99x

Post by Raptor99x » 19 Apr 21 20:30

Hello again,

Since you were kind enough to respond to my query, I wonder if you could answer one further question:
Is there any functional difference between 'Categories' and 'Portfolios' in regards to any ultimate search criteria?

Thank you once again in advance.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 19 Apr 21 21:54

Hi Raptor,

I don't personally know enough about the search functionality to properly answer that question. There is a searching PDF, which may answer some of your questions, worth a look anyway if you haven't already. Searches will certainly scan the text in your catalog metadata (eg headlines, descriptions) and of course the categories, but I don't know if that includes portfolio/collection "labels" - I would imagine so.

Normal/intended use of PSU is to apply to an image all categories/labels that apply to it (and that you feel worth applying). In this way your images are organised and searchable. This is the heart of PSU if you like.

Of course you can also view your images by timeline, state, details, etc as well as by category.

I personally use portfolios to hold the best pictures from each holiday or other event, other examples might be having a portfolio collection for landscapes, portraits, relatives, etc to hold the best pics of them.

I highly recommend using the default root categories provided - events, person, places, objects etc. I also recommend not making your sub-categories too granular to begin with. It's easy to make them more granular at a later point should you need to but to start with it's best to have a simple structure, especially whilst one gets used to PSU. If you have many photos, it's often best to try PSU with a small subset of them initially whilst you get used to PSU.
Snowman1

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 19 Apr 21 21:57

Category labels are information you add about each image,
Portfolios are simply collections/groupings of such images, they don't add additional information about the individual images themselves, only about the group itself.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Raptor99x

Post by Raptor99x » 19 Apr 21 22:54

Thank you both for your explanations.
I'd begun using Portfolios for 'groupings' of common images, or those that exhibit other common elements, and have found it to be effective for my needs, but I can now see how 'categories' may also be useful for images that do not fit into a specific grouping, and i suspect that both Categories and Portfolios can share similar images if need be?

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 19 Apr 21 23:15

Geoff's explanation is a great way of thinking about it.
It's hard to say without knowing specifics but I do get the impression that you are using portfolios for the purpose categories are intended for; and whilst that may seem ok at the moment you are likely to find, further down the road, that you will end up spending some time and energy re-doing things. I'd suggest not using portfolios just for the moment until you've got used to working with categories.
Snowman1

Raptor99x

Post by Raptor99x » 19 Apr 21 23:30

Hi Snowman,

You may be correct. I am using Portfolio, for example, under the label 'Dogs' to store the best images of a series of dog photos. Under the main heading I have subcategories that are related to different dog breeds. Is this not what Portfolio is intended for, or am I mistaken?

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 20 Apr 21 0:20

So in that situation, I would
(1) give each image the category of "dog", and - as it's important to you - have each the specific breed as a subcategory; and then
(2) put the best ones into a portfolio. You may or may not want to divide your "dog" portfolio into breeds.

If you were just to use portfolios, ie just do the second step, then in the future you would never be able to find any image of a labrador, or even of a dog, unless it was one of your best ones (when you would find it by looking in the portfolio). This would be an example of rework being needed down the line. As Geoff says, it's the step (1) that really adds value to the image by enriching it with metadata, gives organisation to your photo collections, and allows searches to locate your images.

So you're not wrong* in how you're using portfolios but using them without good labelling would, I think, be a mistake.
*I'd hesitate to use the word wrong anyway, as whatever works for you is good, but it avoids frustration and rework to go down the best route from the start!
Snowman1

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 20 Apr 21 0:29

I'd agree with Geoff & Snowman1. Portfolio labels aren't treated as searchable metadata. Personally I'd read up on categories first. My attachment shows a snippet of my own "animals" hierarchy. These hierarchies are entirely up to you/ your circumstances but are pretty fundamental to searching. These category labels can be manually or automatically written as metadata to your files & are searchable in the PSu database. Once the labels are assigned, only then use portfolios as a view into your categories. Unfortunately it's a steep learning curve, but if you invest the time up front, you won't have to do great rearrangement/ restructures down the track. The Help > Quick Manual - Cataloging will explain it far better, and could be a better place to start than Quick Manual - Search.
Attachments
2021-04-20 09_19_39-Window.jpg
2021-04-20 09_19_39-Window.jpg (20.06 KiB) Viewed 857 times

Raptor99x

Post by Raptor99x » 20 Apr 21 13:40

Thank you all once again.
I have begun to use 'Categories' as suggested, and my approach is now much the same as what is depicted above. However, I had tried various searches when using only Portfolios, and the searches had gone directly to the requested image. In any event, I wish to thank you all again for your time and consideration.