Stalling frequently on startup (not-responding)

Mke

Stalling frequently on startup (not-responding)

Post by Mke » 25 Mar 21 17:44

Over the past weeks / since V6 I have found that PSU is frequently failing to start correctly - becoming non-responsive - something that was previously a rare occurrence.

It starts up with the following processes active
StallOnStartup .png
StallOnStartup .png (7.17 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Stalls normally occur within a couple of seconds with the progress bar stopping. Occasionally the 'Verification Service' finishes and then it stalls with just the 'Verifying' service running. Sometimes a 'no change found for selected files' message pops up before the stall, sometimes it stalls with the message still on display, sometimes it doesn't appear.

Prompted by failure 1 in the list below, I've just opened and closed PSU 20 times (doing nothing within it), ending it when non-responsive via Task Manager, with the following results:

1 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
2 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
3 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
4 - Stalled during 'Verifying'
5 - OK
6 - OK
7 - Stalled during 'Verifying'
8 - OK
9 - OK
10 - OK
11 - OK
12 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
13 - OK
14 - OK
15 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
16 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
17 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
18 - Stalled during 'Verification Service'
19 - Stalled during 'Verifying'
20 - OK

SQLite v3625 Windows 8.1

Hert

Re: Stalling frequently on startup (not-responding)

Post by Hert » 25 Mar 21 21:59

It starts with these processes??? Very odd.
That means that these are pending jobs.

Did you try to let it run to complete and not kill it? Are you sure it’s stalled? Did you check processor usage?
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

Mke

Post by Mke » 26 Mar 21 11:18

As the services running more-or-less coincided with V6 - I couldn't swear that it was at exactly the same time - I had assumed that it was a new function. When it starts without hanging it still runs those two services, but only for a couple of seconds while the interface settles.

I've tried leaving it with both services 'running' - for 15 minutes in the example below - but it seems entirely inactive.
StallOnStartup2.png
StallOnStartup2.png (26.85 KiB) Viewed 593 times
I also just left it running after the first of those services stopped, with just the second running, for 9 hours overnight. For the first half hour or so it was using CPU at between 7% and 9%. After a couple of hours the CUP had fallen to between 0.1% and 0 (no more than running the progress bar?), where it remained. This morning I was able to click on a couple of images before it became entirely non-responsive.

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Mar 21 12:49

Can you run this script and share the result:

tnx

Code: Select all

var
  ADs: TDBXOMClientDataSet;
begin
  ADs := PublicCatalog.NewDataset;
  try
    ADs.CommandText := 'select count(*) as idCnt from idJob';
    ADs.OpenSet;

Say(ADs.FieldValue('idCnt'));

ADs.CloseSet;
  finally
    PublicCatalog.FreeDataset(ADs);
  end;
end;
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Apr 21 12:02

Did you get a chance to run this script?

Mke

Post by Mke » 26 Apr 21 16:30

Sorry Hert, I've been tied up for the last few weeks. The result of the script is 4 (though PSU hung after displaying the result).

I also have an update. Since Build 3667 the problem has been very much reduced, thanks. I've been keeping a tally and since then, out of 22 sessions, only 4 have stalled (though 3 of those have been within the last 7 sessions). I also find that if I remember to switch to travel mode before shutdown, there are no problems on restart - the 'verification' doesn't seem to happen at all.

I may also have found a potential cause. I have a number of folders offline; that's not new and didn't cause a problem. However making modifications to my catalog structure has put some the images in those folders out of sync. Could the 'verification' be an attempt to write to these inaccessible images?

Mke

Post by Mke » 26 Apr 21 21:12

Actually, the result of the script isn't necessarily 4. I just ran it before closing PSU and it returned 11. On reopening PSU it then returned 4 again. Not sure if that's expected?

Hert

Post by Hert » 27 Apr 21 8:21

That's what I expected. That number is supposed to be 0. And for you that means that on startup, PSU tries to start 4 jobs, which you keep killing while the job is starting.

Please run the script:

Code: Select all

update Hert: removed the script

Mke

Post by Mke » 27 Apr 21 13:08

Thanks Hert. I've run that, restarted and had '0' returned from running the first script.

However it seems not to have resolved the issue - the two 'verification' processes are still running on startup.

On the first restart they both stopped after a couple of seconds.

On the second the first verification stopped but the second is still running (after around 10 minutes) as I type this. PSU is using between 7% and 9% of the CPU (and a fixed 338.4MB of memory), so I've left it running in the background for now.

Mke

Post by Mke » 27 Apr 21 16:30

To update my last post, PSU stopped responding at some point in the last hour, after verifying for 3 or 4 hours, so I killed it.

The next start was stuck on verification, so I killed that after a couple of minutes.

The next attempt still ran the 'verification' processes but only for a few seconds, otherwise all seems normal. Running the first script returns '0'.