catalog damaged most likely by opening while synching

Robosoc

catalog damaged most likely by opening while synching

Post by Robosoc » 09 Mar 21 10:15

I just crashed my catalog, most likely because it was synched by Synology Drive with a NAS while I was opening it. A Failure report from PSU was generated automatically and send to IDImager.

I do have a 1 or 2 days old backup. But I did quite some work in the past days. Hert: Can I send the database to you to have it checked if it could be repaired? It's about 0,5 GB in size.

Thank you in advance!

Hert

Re: PSU V6 catalog damaged most likely by opening while synching

Post by Hert » 09 Mar 21 10:57

Safeguard your current database
Then restore your backup

1. Start PSU
2. Enable ICS Reading in the Sync settings
3. Use verify folder to scan for changes. That will pick up the changed files
4. Process the changes
5. IMPORTANT: Disable ICS Reading again in Sync Settings (but don't disable ICS writing!!)

And more importantly...make sure this doesn't happen again.

Are your database files stored on the NAS? If so, please don't do that. Keep databases on your fastest, local drive. Networks are unreliable and the slightest network fluctuation can corrupt a SQLite database. It's not a matter of will it happen, but when will it happen.

Robosoc

Re: PSU V6 catalog damaged most likely by opening while synching

Post by Robosoc » 09 Mar 21 21:59

Thank you, I will do that and give you feedback.

My database is stored locally on the SSD in the Notebook. But I intend to mirrow the catalog database (not the thumbs) to a NAS and in a second step I plan to synch the databases of two notebooks by that. Of cause I do know, that I shall never do database work on both computers at the same time and that will be able to avoid.

Robosoc

Re: catalog damaged most likely by opening while synching

Post by Robosoc » 10 Mar 21 13:15

It seems to stuck in step 3 as PSU does not let me verify the folder. It starts an Activity Process for less then a second (can not even read the name of the process, that quick it dissappears again).

But never mind, I did start to set up another catalog by reading in the Meta-Informations from the images.
Thank you anyway.