Beginners Questions to Server Version

Robosoc

Beginners Questions to Server Version

Post by Robosoc » 20 Feb 21 13:45

Hey there!

Since many years I use PSU standalone for organiszing my private family foto collection on one single windows installation. My wife is using her own PC without PSU (only windows foto functions) and she is adding the most of the pictures.

The full installation looks like following.
  • Windows PC 1 (wife) has full copy of all images on the local hard drive and synchronizes with a Synology NAS mainly for backup.
  • Windows PC 2 (myself) with latest 5.6... PSU. PSU standalone database is stored local on the PC 2. PSU catalog points on the NAS Drive images and stores only thumbnails on PC2 within PSU catalog.
  • I own an 5-6 year old Synology NAS, not the most powerfull variant though, but plenty of disc space.
  • I own a rather new ARM64 linux based home automation server, with docker / portainer pre-installed. I assume this system is faster then the NAS, but very limited in disk space

I am thinking of running PSU server in order to teach and have my wife organising PSU together on her and my PC. We are looking at 25.000 pics + currently

My ideas would be to either use the "nativ" PostgrSQL on Synology or to install a docker version in the home automation server, because it may be faster.
But would that mean that all my images would have to be stored in the postgreSQL-Database within the server and not on the NAS drive folder structure anymore? Or is the database only carying for meta-data and pointing to the picture-directory, which could still be on the NAS?

Would I still be able to do a symple file Sync between the NAS and a PC-harddrive only to have another backup on another location (physically apart from the NAS)?

Will a postgreSQL on a "small" linux based server having enough performance or will it be much slower then my standalone version?

Additionnaly: I am not very fit in Docker / Linux / and so on...but most of the times I get things working after a while.

Or is there any other suggestion on my system setup?

What bothers me most currently, is that the folder checkup in PSU standalone takes ages. And that is what I do to get the latest changes that my wife performed (relocating files in folders / deleting files / adding files).

Username

Re: Beginners Questions to Server Version

Post by Username » 20 Feb 21 19:44

For such a small user base pretty much any server would offer enough cpu power to run postgres for PSU. A speedy SSD will make life happier for Postgres to utilise.

Database for thumbnails will grow and consume disk space. The DB for PSU itself will not be a problem. Backing the thumbs db up and running maintenance will consume more disk and memory on server. So there you might need to look at being restricted if your resources are sparse.

You should look at the performance requirements in Herts PostgreSQL install guide and config the server on the lean side. You can always begin light and see how it all plays out.

Where the original photos are located is not that important. As long as, you all have write access to the location they can be stored on the NAS and shared to all of you. Sure an under powered server and/or network would slow processing and transferring a bit I would not be a catastrophic scenario.

It’s mainly about acceptance :)

I ran my V4, V5 on a Mac mini i7 from 2012 and still use the same Mac mini for the PSU V6 server.
Sure pretty much everything is faster today but I’m happy with it.

You can always test it for 30 days. :)
Last edited by Username on 23 Feb 21 3:01, edited 1 time in total.
PSu Server 6 & Postgres 12 on macOS 10.15
PSO 5 on Windows Server 2016

- I'm the user

Robosoc

Post by Robosoc » 22 Feb 21 21:21

Thank you for your response!

I will definatly give it a try and start to setup the postgreSQL server on my NAS with the manuel that I found here in the forum.

One more question that I do not find the answer on: Are the thumbnails in a server version always stored in the database on the server or is there a chance to have thumbnails stored on the clients as well? The PC's we are using are Notebooks and I would like to have thumbnails stored locally for travelling purposes. If I could set up the thumbnail size would be even better (very similar to a solution that IDImager offered before it changed to Photo, that I keep missing (or I simply did not find the right solution for me).

Dismayed

Post by Dismayed » 23 Feb 21 1:51

I store my photos on a NAS running TrueNAS Core. PSU and PostgreSQL run on my mid-2010 Mac Pro on Windows 10 with 32 GB RAM. The PostgreSQL data is stored on an SSD on my Win 10 Mac Pro. And PostgreSQL backups land on my NAS. It's all working well for me. Perhaps some bits from my experience may prove useful.
“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.”
~ Will Rogers

Robosoc

Post by Robosoc » 23 Feb 21 19:02

Thank you, Dismayed

It seems as if my NAS only has 512 MB of RAM, it is rather a lean version of the Synology portfolio :-) So I should not expect too much for the beginning, but do start to try around what it means to me.
Last edited by Robosoc on 23 Feb 21 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Dismayed

Post by Dismayed » 23 Feb 21 19:15

Robosoc wrote:
23 Feb 21 19:02
Thank you, Dismayed

It seems as if my NAs only has 512 MG of RAM, it is rather a lean version of the Synology portfolio :-) So I should not expect too much for the beginning, but do start to try around what it means to me.
Your NAS may be fine if it functions purely as a file server. My own NAS is a recent build to a high spec because it's also a Plex server. And my younger son, a College Senior Comp Sci major, wants to run machine learning calculations on it occasionally.
“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.”
~ Will Rogers