PosgreSQL 13 Configuration

Dismayed

PosgreSQL 13 Configuration

Post by Dismayed » 19 Feb 21 20:16

I edited the config file when I installed PostgreSQL 13, and discovered that it's different than in the PSU documentation. It contains entries for scram-sha-256 security, instead of for md5. Am I correct to assume that what I've configured below will work with PSU 6 Server?

# TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD

# "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
local all all scram-sha-256
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/0 scram-sha-256
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 scram-sha-256
# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the
# replication privilege.
local replication all scram-sha-256
host replication all 127.0.0.1/32 scram-sha-256
host replication all ::1/128 scram-sha-256
“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.”
~ Will Rogers

Dismayed

Re: PosgreSQL 13 Configuration

Post by Dismayed » 19 Feb 21 20:50

OK. I finished the installation, and PSU seems to connect with PostgreSQL 13 without problem.
“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation.
~ Will Rogers

Username

Post by Username » 20 Feb 21 7:14

If you installed V6 as a new clean install, setting scram-sha-256 will instruct the postgres to use SCRAM method for authentication.
If you upgraded a V5 or previous postgres which used the md5 method, setting scram-sha-256 willl not effect the stored passwords or auth method. But if you do a password reset and ask the user to set a new password, the scram method will be used instead.
PSu Server 6 & Postgres 12 on macOS 10.15
PSO 5 on Windows Server 2016

- I'm the user

Dismayed

Post by Dismayed » 21 Feb 21 16:42

Username wrote:
20 Feb 21 7:14
If you installed V6 as a new clean install, setting scram-sha-256 will instruct the postgres to use SCRAM method for authentication.
If you upgraded a V5 or previous postgres which used the md5 method, setting scram-sha-256 willl not effect the stored passwords or auth method. But if you do a password reset and ask the user to set a new password, the scram method will be used instead.
Thank you for the explanation. I backed up my v5 database, uninstalled PSU v5 and PostgreSQL 12, and then did clean installs of PostgreSQL 13 and PSU 6. It all seems to work well.
~ Will Rogers