removing colour coding damaged my TIF files

vkfoto

removing colour coding damaged my TIF files

Post by vkfoto » 11 Jan 21 23:07

Some time ago, I was seeing some of my TIF files being damaged
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28333&p=125557&hil ... es#p125557

Recently I saw it happen again.
One thing I like to do is to apply a colour to the RAW files, makes it easier to pick them out when there are many types in the thumbnail screen.
When I create TIF files from the RAW files, I need to remove the colour
before with colour.JPG
before with colour.JPG (86.22 KiB) Viewed 447 times
I select the TIF files only and remove the colour
after without colour.JPG
after without colour.JPG (86.75 KiB) Viewed 447 times
What I did not anticipate was that this action would also damage the files.
8 bit versions before the colour was removed
8 bit before.JPG
8 bit before.JPG (112.1 KiB) Viewed 447 times
8 bit after the colour was removed
8 bit after.JPG
8 bit after.JPG (29.19 KiB) Viewed 447 times
The same thing happened to the 16 bit versions.

Starting from fresh copies, I was able to repeat the process and got the same results.
The RAW files are Canon CRW from 2014. Breezebrowser 1.9.8.9 was used to create the TIF files.

How should I remove the colour without damaging the files?

Hert

Re: removing colour coding damaged my TIF files

Post by Hert » 12 Jan 21 10:40

Can you send me a sample TIF file (that is not corrupt) so I can try if I can reproduce the corruption here?

PS. I've never received a file that you tried to send me before, so please upload your files to a cloud drive (iCloud/GoogleDrive/OneDrive/dropBox/WeTransfer/etc) and send me the download link

Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 12 Jan 21 11:31

I have to admit that I seem to suffer problems as well, but never been quite sure that it was down to PSU, but for me TIFF files only tend to be an intermediate format whilst preparing Spherical panoramas so can normally recover without too much problem.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Sigi

Post by Sigi » 12 Jan 21 12:14

I have also seen sometimes corruption of tiff files, 16bit. The raw files - in my case CR2 - where always fine.
I see that only if I do some heavy-lifting within PSU, i.e doing something on hundreds of files like adding copyright etc...
Last edited by Sigi on 12 Jan 21 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Jan 21 12:25

There are many favors of TIF; 1, 8, 16, 24, 32 bit, monochrome, three channel, multi channel with one or multi alpha channels, RGB, CMYK, CieLAB, and many more combinations. And then I don't count the many TIF based file formats like many RAW files, DNG files, etc. Afaik, PSU has the broadest TIF support out there. But there can always be some kind of combination that fails.

If you have a certain TIF flavor that leads to a corrupt file (first double check, also by eliminating disk and/or network errors during a write operation) then please send me a non-corrupted sample file that you can reliably corrupt by writing it with PSU (also tell me what you did in PSU to get to the corruption). None of the 522 TIF samples that I have here for testing are corrupted by PSU.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 12 Jan 21 14:36

Files sent by WeTransfer.
Confirmed that when I remove the colour bar from these TIF files in PSU, they become corrupt, showing a rainbow of vertical coloured bars when I try to open them with a file viewer.

HCS

Post by HCS » 13 Jan 21 10:02

I, too, sometimes see corruption of TIF files. I have not discovered a pattern, so will look out for this.

Hert

Post by Hert » 13 Jan 21 10:04

Thank you for providing the needed files. I was able to reproduce your issue. You can now update to build 3414 which contains a fix.

Background info (beware: nerd-alert). Your file for some reason has different tag types for the stripe offset and bytecount tags. That caused PSU to consider the file as an invalid file and not render the stripes, leading to the corruption. I've not seen TIF files before where the offsets and bytecounts tags are of a different type. PSU now also handles such TIF files.
Again, thank you for providing the needed file. Please let me know if 3414 fixes the issue for you. Thank you

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 13 Jan 21 14:13

That fixed the issue over here. Anyone else who is using Breezebrowser to convert older Canon CRW files to TIF should also feel the relief.
Thanks for the quick response.

HCS

Post by HCS » 15 Jan 21 21:19

I've just upgraded to 3414 (Postgres server on Windows 10) and now i'm finding that my TIF files (processed in AF Photo) are now black in PSU. When i send them to another editor (e.g. Luminar AI), the image also turns up black.

Is this an issue anyone else is seeing?

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 Jan 21 21:35

This topic was about a fix for writing TIFs. Nothing changed in reading TIFs. But apart from that, you say that PSU shows the TIF as black, just like Luminar shows the TIF black. Sounds like the TIF *is* black. Try re-saving your TIF, and try using a different TIF settings in AF Photo.

edit; just saved a TIF with AF Photo (1.8.6) on macOS. The file shows fine in PSU, Luminar and Finder. I then altered the metadata in PSU and sync'ed back to the file. Also no issues there.

HCS

Post by HCS » 15 Jan 21 23:08

Thanks for your quick reply.

the thumbnail of the tif shows fine, then when i press enter the preview is black.

I'll try the scenario you describe and report back.

HCS

Post by HCS » 16 Jan 21 16:45

I'm sorry, i forgot to mention in my earlier post that i did add labels to the images before they went black.

I also get this from tif images written by Capture One.

I've updated to 3423 in the meantime and tried again. I processed the same files in Capture One, combined them in AF Photo and imported into PSU via Verify Folder Quick.

Then i added labels and sofar so good, these images show when i press enter (and continue to show). One image i tried that had been created by Capture One before, showed briefly when pressing enter and then went black. Re-creating the thumbnail shows the following message in the thumbnail "Invalid TIF strip found (0)".

I retried the files mentioned that did still turn black. The reprocessed files (with a different file name) now show correctly and continue to show.

Perhaps you made changes to version 3423 that solved it, but for now the tif handling on my system seems normal again. Thank you very much!

HCS

Post by HCS » 19 Jan 21 16:27

I can confirm now that i haven't had anymore black tif files, nor the above mentioned "Invalid TIF strip found (0)" error in thumbnails since upgrading to version 3423.

Thanks!

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Jan 21 17:46

That’s great. Thank you for the feedback