Using Photo Supreme and Apple Photos App

Link648099

Using Photo Supreme and Apple Photos App

Post by Link648099 » 03 Nov 20 18:18

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to use both Photo Supreme and the Apple Photos app at the same time without having to duplicate one's entire photo collection?

I do all my metadata editing and file management in Photo Supreme, but I love the idea of having my entire photo collection available in iCloud and viewable on all my devices.

If I loaded all my photos into the Apple Photos app, and pointed Photo Supreme to that folder collection, would the two play nice together?

Does anyone have any experience in doing this?

Hert

Re: Using Photo Supreme and Apple Photos App

Post by Hert » 05 Nov 20 11:43

While I've not done that myself yet, I do expect them to work together on the same files. Make sure that both PSU and the Photos.app reference the exact same files.
I'm curious about your findings and would appreciate it if you could share your findings here. Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Link648099

Re: Using Photo Supreme and Apple Photos App

Post by Link648099 » 29 Nov 20 11:52

So I gave this a try and I wasn't satisfied with it.

To get the full benefits of the Photo's app, i.e. having everything synced through iCloud, I'd have to have the actual photos in the Photo's app catalog, rather than just pointing Photos to the catalog. I would then have to set up Photo Supreme to use this catalog instead of the one I've devised.

Photos uses its own organizational system that appears random to me, so right there I wouldn't want to do this.

But say I did. Aside from the folder structure and naming system being very random, I'd have two separate programs accessing the same catalog. This would no doubt create potential conflicts that would end up breaking things on Photo's end since it seems to be a lot pickier than Photo Supreme.

The only solution I could think of would be to have two separate photo collections, with Photo Supreme being my primary one I use to export my "finished" photos to the Photos app, perhaps at a smaller resolution size, which then uploads them to the cloud.

Maybe I'll consider that in the future. Hard drive space is cheap, after all!