Light Table locking up

Tom Husband

Light Table locking up

Post by Tom Husband » 26 Oct 20 10:37

I have several versioned photos (ARW, TIF and JPG). If I open, say, the JPG in Light Table all three show up which is good. If I expand one of them it goes full screen like it should. If I then hit escape to close Light Table I get a gray screen showing just the histogram and eventually the twirling circle until Win 10 says PSu isn't responding and would I like to close it. I've tried this with different versioned groups and get the same response.

Should I not be using escape to close it?

edit: Perhaps I should add that my external applications are DxO Photolab 4 and Affinity.

Many thanks.

Hert

Re: Light Table locking up

Post by Hert » 26 Oct 20 15:51

I'm unable to reproduce this here. I've opened a set of images for a version set in the light table and double click on an image to get that image full screen. Then pressed Esc to close the full screen and return to the Light Table.

Can you still reproduce this? Also after restarting PSU?
Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 26 Oct 20 16:33

Yes, after restarting it happens again. This time I got an access violation where it asks me to send the exception to you so I just did. Now it's completely locked up and I'll need to ctrl/alt/delete.

edit: After rebooting it seems to be working. I try some more.

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 26 Oct 20 16:39

Well I don't know, Hert, several openings of light table and no lockups. I'm not sure what was going on before.

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 26 Oct 20 18:14

Well I spoke too soon. It's crashing again.

Are there logs I could run that would perhaps shed some light?

Thanks.

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 27 Oct 20 10:30

It seems to be crashing more frequently now (at least once per day). This morning I downsized some TIFs to JPGs and moved them to another folder using FastStone Photo Resizer. When I scanned for missing files in PSu it completely locked up.

Hert

Post by Hert » 27 Oct 20 11:57

Tom Husband wrote:
26 Oct 20 16:33
Yes, after restarting it happens again. This time I got an access violation where it asks me to send the exception to you so I just did. Now it's completely locked up and I'll need to ctrl/alt/delete.
I've looked up your submitted error. Am I right that you have the info panel open in the Light Table? The error appears to be related to that. I can't reproduce a stall yet. Can you try if you can get the Light Table to stall when the Info panel is off (press I key on the keyboard)
LightTable.png
LightTable.png (3.44 MiB) Viewed 516 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 27 Oct 20 12:07

Tom Husband wrote:
27 Oct 20 10:30
It seems to be crashing more frequently now (at least once per day). This morning I downsized some TIFs to JPGs and moved them to another folder using FastStone Photo Resizer. When I scanned for missing files in PSu it completely locked up.
A stall during a rescan of a folder? That should not happen. Did you give PSU time because when WIndows ghosts an application that doesn't mean that an application is stalled. Windows is notorious for its poor ghosting implementation. To determine if the application is really stalled, you can best check the CPU usage in Windows Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc in Windows). Either way, I don't expect that scanning a folder for changes to "ghost" at all, unless the catalog is somehow locked. Did you exclude the catalog folder from your Virus scanner? Note: if you're using a separate virus scanner then don't forget to also exclude the Catalog folder in Windows Defender.

BTW; did you know that you can quickly downsize in PSU using the "Export to Folder" feature (Ctrl+E)? PSU can export high quality downsized images. Or is FastStone Resizer offering something unique?

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 27 Oct 20 12:15

Yes, I usually have a panel open. Details or Labels mostly. I closed all panels (Ctrl+i) and then opened a versioned photo into Light Table and got the stall again when hitting Esc. This morning I was scanning for missing files and it crashed.

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 27 Oct 20 12:23

Hert wrote:
27 Oct 20 12:07
A stall during a rescan of a folder? That should not happen. Did you give PSU time because when WIndows ghosts an application that doesn't mean that an application is stalled. Windows is notorious for its poor ghosting implementation. To determine if the application is really stalled, you can best check the CPU usage in Windows Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc in Windows). Either way, I don't expect that scanning a folder for changes to "ghost" at all, unless the catalog is somehow locked. Did you exclude the catalog folder from your Virus scanner? Note: if you're using a separate virus scanner then don't forget to also exclude the Catalog folder in Windows Defender.

BTW; did you know that you can quickly downsize in PSU using the "Export to Folder" feature (Ctrl+E)? PSU can export high quality downsized images. Or is FastStone Resizer offering something unique?
I believe I've made sure to exclude PSu from the virus scanner but will double check.

No, nothing special about FastStone Resizer. I didn't realize PSu can downsize. I'd much rather do everything in PSu so I'll look at that too.

Thanks for all the help. It's really appreciated.

Hert

Post by Hert » 27 Oct 20 12:25

I mean the info panel inside the lighttable (press I in the Light Table). As illustrated in my screenshot. Did you have that open?

Did you also see my reply to the verify folder stall about excluding the catalog folder from virus scanners.

Best to not mix two subjects inside one forum topic. As you can see that becomes confusing as replies get mixed. Maybe you can start a new topic for the verify folder stall so replies don’t get mixed up in this topic which is about the light table.

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 27 Oct 20 12:55

I thought I might have found the problem when I realized the catalog folder wasn't excluded in Windows Defender. I added it, rebooted but it still stalled when trying to get out of Light Table.

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 27 Oct 20 13:02

Hert wrote:
27 Oct 20 12:25
I mean the info panel inside the lighttable (press I in the Light Table). As illustrated in my screenshot. Did you have that open?

Did you also see my reply to the verify folder stall about excluding the catalog folder from virus scanners.

Best to not mix two subjects inside one forum topic. As you can see that becomes confusing as replies get mixed. Maybe you can start a new topic for the verify folder stall so replies don’t get mixed up in this topic which is about the light table.
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes I had the info panel open in Light Table and when I close it I can Esc out without a problem. I'll remember to close it in the future.

Thanks, again, for the help.

Tom Husband

Post by Tom Husband » 27 Oct 20 14:27

Hert wrote:
27 Oct 20 12:07
Wow the "Export to Folder" feature is pretty slick. Faster and better than FastStone. Thanks!

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 28 Oct 20 14:57

Hert, Is it possible to bring up the light curve anywhere else, I hadn't realised it was possible not having seen it within PSU elsewhere!
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)