Drive letter changes

Tom Husband

Drive letter changes

Post by Tom Husband » 05 Oct 20 11:21

My Win 10 laptop has two external drives. One SSD for my images (D) and one HDD for my backup (E). Today when I inserted the camera SD card it showed up as D and my normal D drive became E. I don't know what my backup drive will be as I haven't plugged it in yet but I'm not too concerned about that as the software goes by the drive identification and not the letter. I've read Windows will change letters now and then but how does it effect PSu? I managed to changed the drive letter in PSu from D to E even though PSu showed all the images still in D.

Now I'm wondering if I messed things up. Did I need to correct the drive letter? What happens next time it changes? Will I have to change drive letters again? Is there a way to permanently fix the drive letter?

Many thanks.

Hert

Re: Drive letter changes

Post by Hert » 05 Oct 20 11:28

Hi Tom, first of all: no you haven't messed things up.
You can fix drive letters in Windows. Do that by connecting the external drive, then open "Disk Management" from the Control Panel. Then right click on the partition of the external drive and select "Change drive letter and paths". Then select the fixed drive letter to use. Then if reconnected, Windows will always try to use the same letter. For convenience, and to prevent accidental drive letter conflicts in Windows, I recommend you use a drive letter somewhere further in the alphabet (like P: for photos).

Back to PSU. You can fix the drive letter by:
1. Click Folders
2. Right click on the top level node for your external drive
3. Select Map to the correct physical folder
4. Point to the root of your drive

Does that help?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Tom Husband

Re: Drive letter changes

Post by Tom Husband » 05 Oct 20 11:58

Perfect! We're back in business.

Thanks a lot.