Sorting Folders

fafi

Sorting Folders

Post by fafi » 17 Sep 20 21:10

I store my photos in a folder structure, where each "job" has its own folder named with year and serial number (eg "20200023 job name 1", "20200024 job name 2" and so on). All job folders are subfolders to the same top folder.

Photo Supreme automatically sorts the folders in ascending order, so the newest folder is at the bottom and the oldest folder at the top. I would like to reverse the sorting so that it is in descending order with the latest folder at the top.

Does any of you know if this is possible?

Hert

Re: Sorting Folders

Post by Hert » 18 Sep 20 8:45

A warm welcome to the forum.
First, you can't change the folder sort order in PSU.

You're now apparently using a folder structure with names that incorporate two pieces of information: the date and the event (what you call job). While it is ok to use such folder names, or any other folder naming structure that you can come up with for that matter, the purpose of using a DAM is that you disconnect the "data" from the "file system". Looking at your data elements that you now incorporate in the folder name then you could say that the date is already part of the Timeline (click Timeline in the upper catalog bar), and the time line is ordered in descending years. In other words: it adds no value to use the date in the folder name, apart from making it perhaps easier for you tom browse folders outside of the DAM. And that on its turn could be a reason for you to maintain that, which is fine. The "job name" that you now incorporate in the folder name should be the "event" in the metadata. But probably that isn't the case yet. Right now you have that intelligence embedded in the file system, meaning an image is part of job1 because it is stored in folder with name job1. Move that image to another folder and that information gets lost. But reality is that that image is part of job1, regardless where it is stored on disk. I hope I made it clear that embedding intelligence in the file system is not a solid solution. Hence why most people who use a DAM use a date based folder structure. Something like /Photos/2020/2020-09/2020-09-18 While that too doesn't add any value, and is a trivial choice, it makes a good solution for folder structures because it keeps lists small and generally make it possible to quickly navigate outside of the application (if you would need that to begin with, because with a DAM, the DAM is what finds the images, regardless its storage location).

Either way, back to your folder structure. Your "jobs" parent folder probably contains a impractical long list as the year progresses. Hence your request to reverse the list :)

What I recommend would be two possibilities:
1. Create a more hierarchical folder structure instead of one folder with many sub folders. You could get a quick win by simply introducing one more level: /Photos/2020/20200918 Job Name 1/ Or, depending on the number of jobs per month, even two levels: /Photos/2020/202009/20200918 Job Name1/

2. The second, more future proof solution, but probably a bridge too far for you right now, is to use a script in PSU to extract the "Job Name" from the file's folder name and then store that as an Event catalog label.

For now I recommend adding one or two levels to your file system.

Maybe others can explain how they organize their file system as well.

Edit; based on your topic I started this topic: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=28200
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fafi

Re: Sorting Folders

Post by fafi » 19 Sep 20 19:44

Thank you for the useful comments. "Once bitten twice shy" :-) Earlier I used Apple Photos - it died. The I used Media Pro - it died. Every time I have a vast job in converting and repairing the structures in which I organise my photos. Now I use Photo Supreme - it ... (hopefully lives long)? That's why I ride two horses - the DAM and the file structure. Not optimal, but it gives me some security (I hope) in relation to a possible future change of archive application/DAM. I will consider adding an extra level of folders as you suggest.

-Erik-