pixel dimension display not changing after scaling photo

roddyt

pixel dimension display not changing after scaling photo

Post by roddyt » 14 Sep 20 22:34

I found that after scaling an image in PSu, the dimensions displayed in the info panel don't change, and remain the original dimensions. From looking through the metadata, it appears the display comes from exif:PixelXDimension (and Y) as I see these values match the display.

I tried scaling in GraphicConverter to compare, and found that it set these metadata values, and therefore PSu displayed them correctly.

Based on advice in a recent similar thread, I tried right click -> Metadata -> Convert metadata to XMP. This correctly set the values.

I'm on MacOS and running the most recent PSu version. This feels like a bug as I don't feel that converting metadata to XMP should be required to finish the job.

Hert

Re: pixel dimension display not changing after scaling photo

Post by Hert » 14 Sep 20 22:41

What file format is this?
And how are you scaling in PSU?

Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

roddyt

Post by roddyt » 15 Sep 20 1:17

jpg format
Adjust pane > Scale
Change pixel width and height, no change to resolution, Apply and Save

I also tried Resize in Batch. Same result.

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 Sep 20 8:14

PSU is a lossless, parametric, editor. This means that edits are stored as a set of parameters. In PSU terms this is called a "recipe". The original file remains untouched, and so the pixel dimensions of the file are not altered by adding a "resize parameter" to the recipe.

If you want to create a downsized version of your file on disk then use the Export feature. Right click on a selected thumb -> Operations -> Export to folder.
You can also use the "disk" icon in the Adjust panel to overwrite your original file with the edited version. I do not recommend doing so because that will alter your file and there's no way back.

Read here to learn more about lossless/parametric editing.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

roddyt

Post by roddyt » 15 Sep 20 15:06

I understand the recipe concept, and I've tried it, but I'm not too keen on it. I always save using the "disk" icon (I take other measures to be able to resurrect an original if I need to).

PSu changes other exif data, specifically image width and height, and image size, but not the data that the info pane uses for display. So, for instance, I can filter by macro command using %ImageDimension, %ImageWidth, or %ImageHeight based on the new, actual dimensions, while the info pane still shows the former original dimensions.

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Sep 20 9:24

That will be fixed in the next build.
For now use right click -> Metadata -> Convert Metadata to XMP