Description Date

vkfoto

Description Date

Post by vkfoto » 10 Sep 20 22:41

I was looking at the TimeLine and noticed a bunch of images that were not where I expected them to be. Looking closer, I see they are all placed according to the Description Date that is shown in the Details screen. The original RAW files are OK but many of the JPG filesthat were made from the raw files are affected. Any idea how that could have happened? Where does the Description Date come from?

Hert

Re: Description Date

Post by Hert » 11 Sep 20 0:03

The date used for the Timeline is the photo date.

That date is determined by a schema rather than a single date field for all cases.

first XMP's exif:DateTimeOriginal
if not exists XMP's exif:DateTimeDigitized
If not exists XMP's tiff:DateTime
if not exists EXIF's date time original
if not exists EXIF's date time digitized
if not exists EXIF's base date (0x132)
if not exists File Last Modification Date

As you can see, the Description Date is of no relevance. That date is supposed to contain the date when the metadata description was entered. Tip; hover the mouse over a caption in the Image Details to get the field's description, how it is defined in the standards.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vkfoto

Re: Description Date

Post by vkfoto » 11 Sep 20 1:03

Ah, the date the intellectual content of the document was created (rather than the creation date of the physical representation)

How something that was scanned years ago could have a Description Date of 2020-08-05 is beyond me. However, that was the date the folder containing that file was moved to a new drive.And now that is the date that that version of the file was created. Sigh. Will see about running a script to use the date coded in the file name to get the date corrected.