Compact Database message

rgifford

Compact Database message

Post by rgifford » 10 Sep 20 12:45

I have just imported a significant number of photos and as expected have received a prompt to compact my database.

I have done this and still get the prompt to compact every time that I go into Photo Supreme. I have tried accepting the Compact Now prompt and cancelling that an compacting manually. I have done both catalogue and thumbs.

rgifford

Re: Compact Database message

Post by rgifford » 10 Sep 20 13:16

I'm using build 5.5.1.3114 - 64 bit

rgifford

Post by rgifford » 16 Sep 20 18:57

I was hoping that the latest version, just installed, would fix this but unfortunately it hasn't. The change list doesn't mention this sort of problem but I'm an optimist.

It is admittedly just an irritant to be told every time that I go into Photo Supreme that the catalogue needs compacting but some way of clearing the trigger would be appreciated.

Accepting the prompt to compact now and cancelling the prompt followed by a compact through menu options both don't clear it. Both take the sort of length of time that I would expect. No errors reported. Windows and Photo Supreme temp folders on a drive with 1TB free. Catalogue is 15GB and thumbs is 375GB. 158,000 images in the database.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 16 Sep 20 20:22

I do agree!
It would be much more helpful if it warned you on entry, then at closure ask if you would like to compact now and close when complete? That way it would get done at a time when you've not explicitly opened the program to do something!
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

rgifford

Post by rgifford » 16 Sep 20 21:34

I generally don't mind the message now that it is usage based rather than every 14 days. There is a script in the repository to do a batch type compact, which I haven't used so don't know how good/useful it is.

My current problem is that I can't get rid of the prompt, whatever I do (I can cancel it of course but can't stop it appearing).

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Sep 20 8:31

I have tried this several times already and the message is reset after compacting.
The rows affected list is persisted when you close the application in a normal way.

Here's a script that will reset the counter. After running this script you must KILL Photo Supreme (not close it normally).

[edit Hert; removed the script]
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

rgifford

Post by rgifford » 17 Sep 20 9:52

That worked, thanks

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Sep 20 9:54

That's great. If you get this again, then please let me know.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

rgifford

Post by rgifford » 19 Sep 20 22:23

Hert wrote:
17 Sep 20 9:54
That's great. If you get this again, then please let me know.
Not the same error but possible the same/similar cause.

I've just had an error reported by Photo Supreme that the database is locked when attempting a manual compact. I haven't received a prompt to compact the database but have reached a point in my culling where I would normally do a compact.

Exiting Photo Supreme and going back in didn't fix the problem (but I didn't try exiting by killing) but a reboot of the PC did clear it.

Not a problem, I'm just mentioning it in case it leads to an 'ah that's what it is' type of moment.

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Sep 20 12:51

"Database is locked" is a SQLite message and typically means that another process is blocking SQLite from exclusively locking the database (as it tends to do on Compact). Could be a process in PSU (very low chance), could be a second PSU application that is started at the same time, could be a third party tool that has the database open.

rgifford

Post by rgifford » 20 Sep 20 13:46

I don't intentionally have any third party tools running - or knowingly installed.

Maybe some other process, residual from a previous Photo Supreme that Windows didn't close properly is maybe the most likely, but not a problem as a reboot cleared it.