Should I split a collection or not?

Rhod

Should I split a collection or not?

Post by Rhod » 24 Jul 20 10:31

Hi - I don't have a massive collection of photos compared to some people - a total of about 12000 images. At the moment all of my photos reside on an external drive (backed up to another external drive) and the catalogue is on my Macbook Pro, backed up to the two separate external drives. I had an idea to leave photos of 2017 and before on the external drive as an 'archive' and to have 2018 to the present on my Mac internal drive, the idea being that the more recent originals would be accessible on the Mac even if I did not have the external drive.

I'd like some advice on whether you think, first of all, that this is a good idea at all? Secondly, if I go ahead and do it, would I be better off keeping one catalogue for the photos in two different physical locations, or splitting the collection into two catalogues?

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rhod

Hert

Re: Should I split a collection or not?

Post by Hert » 24 Jul 20 15:44

Hi Rhod,
Moving the older files to the “archive” is a good choice. Move the old folder to the archive and then “relocate” these folders in PSU (right click on folder and select “relocate to the correct physical folder).
Keep just one catalog. The archive remains in your “live” catalog.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Rhod

Re: Should I split a collection or not?

Post by Rhod » 24 Jul 20 18:35

Thanks for the advice Hert - that's what I'll do.
Rhod