Spinning beach ball

Rhod

Spinning beach ball

Post by Rhod » 21 Jul 20 8:21

This seems to be happening to me more often of late. Does it however mean that PSu is 'doing something' or that it has crashed? I'm reluctant to kill the app if it's doing something but sometimes the ball just keeps spinning for ages (2 hours!) so I suspect it has just crashed. For example. I just ran 'check folders for files' and it found 22 files missing from database. I ran 'removed from database' and immediately got the spinning ball. I have 3 active processes showing on the crashed screen.'Verification Service' is at 0%, 'Synchronisation Service' is at 16.7% and the other one is not visible. The app is not responding of course. So I 'force quit' the app, reload it, run the process again and the same thing happens again. Has the database become corrupted? If so, how can I fix it? Thanks

Hert

Re: Spinning beach ball

Post by Hert » 21 Jul 20 9:19

A spinning beach ball is shown by the OS when the main application thread is not responding to messages. That typically occurs when the application is either in the process of doing something or when the application is indeed stalled. Waiting a few hours sounds like stalled. Importing 22 files shouldn't take more than a few seconds. It could be that one of these files cause problems. Try to find these files on the file system and use "import single file" from the hamburger menu. Can you import the files like that? If not, I'm curious if one of the files is locking PSU.

You can always check if your database is corrupt by compacting the database. Do that from the Catalog menu in the upper left hamburger menu
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 21 Jul 20 12:59

Thanks Hert - I thought I would start by compacting the database. No spinning ball this time but the compacting is shown as 'one active process' with the line going back and forth and the rest of the screen dimmed out. This has been going now for about an hour but I'm assuming that this really is an active process which is just taking some time. The message reads 'compacting catalog database' so it hasn't even got to the thumbnails yet! I'm going out now for a few hours so hopefully by the time I get back it should be finished. There are about 7000 images in this catalog.

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 21 Jul 20 16:03

Hi again - 3 hours later and the situation is unchanged. I don't think the app has crashed, but is this normal? Should I just wait? Thanks

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 21 Jul 20 18:00

Unfortunately after waiting 5 hours for the compacting to finish, the application has indeed crashed and I am faced with the spinning ball again.

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 21 Jul 20 18:34

Update - after re-starting the app I was able to compact both the database and the thumbnails successfully. However when I tried to 'check folder for files' it crashed again. I was able to get a screenshot of the filenames so I will try to add them individually as you suggest.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Jul 20 9:45

Please also try this with build 3022.
You can download it from the website and install it over your existing version. Does that fix this?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 22 Jul 20 14:30

Hi Hert - yes thanks - seems to be fixed now.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Jul 20 14:38

That’s great. Thank you for the feedback.