Need help for making Places labels more simple

Jesperben

Need help for making Places labels more simple

Post by Jesperben » 07 Jul 20 21:42

Hi,
Can I do something to make PS' handling of Places and geographical hierarchy in labels more simple?

I am an amateur, and I don't fully understand the hierarchy functions build in the Places labels. I have tried to read in the manuals and in the forum, but I don't really get it.

In some of my files PS has somehow changed my simple flat labels into a hierarchy. I don't think that I have any use for this, and I feel that it complicates things for me. I would like to turn that function off if possible.

For example files with the keyword "Hoek van Holland" - a city in the Netherlands - has been assigned a label hierarchy called "Hook of Holland/South Holland/Netherlands". The same with "Firenze" been assigned "Firenze/Toscana/Italy". I think this happens when PS import files that already have keywords. It doesn't seem to happen when I create a new keyword from scratch in PS like "Milano". Also the daughter label (like Firenze) does not automatically create a keyword (although this can be changed for each label).

I understand the power of the hierarchical labels and the use for advanced users, but I don't think it is of much benefit for my more private use of PS - or am I wrong?
Is it possible to turn it off - maybe in the import process?

Thank you for any help
Jesper
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family

Hert

Re: Need help for making Places labels more simple

Post by Hert » 08 Jul 20 6:56

Photo Supreme creates the place hierarchy based on metadata like photshop:City, photoshop:State, photoshop:Country

You can switch the level of support in the Preferences.
places.png
places.png (127.37 KiB) Viewed 231 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Jesperben

Re: Need help for making Places labels more simple

Post by Jesperben » 08 Jul 20 21:59

Thank you Hert, that was most helpful.

I had seen the setting, but I didn't fully understand its function.
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family