Anybody suffering start up problems ?

Hert

Re: Anybody suffering start up problems ?

Post by Hert » 02 Jul 20 13:19

In the mean time 3008 was released. You can download and install from the website.

But I think your issue is different than what the others reported. Can you share your catalog database (not the thumbs) with me? And let me know what label and image I should select where you get it to stall.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 02 Jul 20 14:16

OK, No problem Zipping up the cat.db now with an image of the screen with an image, basically any image I have tried causes the problem. I'll drop you an email once the Zip is complete.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 20 12:05

Were you able to wrap the file in a zip? I didn’t receive a link yet
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 03 Jul 20 12:22

Oh I emailed you last night at support@idimanger.com ...... at least I have a copy of it here ? I've sent it again as well

Hi Hert,
Link to the database that's causing me problems. I've included a screegrab showing an image causing a problem, but its any image you choose, once restarted the thumbnails are displayed and one image is selected but nothing in the Labels Pane, click elsewhere and lockup occurs.
http:xxxxxxxx.zip 12.5Gbytes

If you would prefer FTP shout and I'll link it there as well.

Geoff Mather
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 04 Jul 20 15:07

Right, Many thanks to Hert for his support over the last few days, its really been appreciated!
Whilst we haven't got to the cause of the problem with the database, after the first run of version 3008 the problem has gone, possibly it corrected a problem in the db and all is now fine.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Space42

Post by Space42 » 04 Jul 20 22:34

Also my thanks to all who contributed.
The problem was there, but I can confirm with version 3008 all is fine again.
I am more than happy.
Martin Grischke (Space42)
MacBook Pro

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 04 Jul 20 23:00

All the release notes say for Build 3008 is "Fix for a slight performance loss when retrieving images from the catalog"? Sounded like far more than a slight performance loss. I assume it is "safe" to upgrade?

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 05 Jul 20 13:15

Not sure my problems are associated with any code changes, there have been several W10 updates in the last few weeks and I do run a large db under SQLite. Its functioning as expected under all the versions, merely the start up of the program was affected, once in its behaving as normal.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 14 Jul 20 17:19

it worked for me right after installation of 3008. Now a few days later it is again not working :(
Macbook Pro. Mac OS Catalina (10.15.5)

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 Jul 20 11:26

After starting PSU (give it time if it takes a while) then close all open tabs. Then start PSU

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 15 Jul 20 12:37

I only have one open tab. Strangely today it works without changing anything.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 31 Jul 20 14:14

no having installed version 3035 it stops working again. How can I rollback to 3008?

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 31 Jul 20 15:11

Since 5.5.0.3035 was installed:
Start up is very long, sometimes over one minute. Cat file is a bit over 7 GB, the thumbs file 53 GB
There are 3 network drives mapped to PSU. Every so often, one of the drives turns red and all data is blank. Windows still shows the drive and its contents.
When adding keywords, sometimes the programs fails to respond and the screen goes pale. Occasionally it will recover, sometimes not and I have to kill the process in Task Manager.
All in all, I'm becoming disappointed and wondering if I will continue with PSU if I can't rely on it to be there when I need it. :(

Hert

Post by Hert » 31 Jul 20 15:35

PSU typically starts in a few seconds. If it doesn't try this:

1. The most obvious: reboot the machine
2. IMPORTANT!!! The second most obvious: exclude the catalog folder from ALL virus scanners that you have installed. This is a MUST. And on Windows, don't forget to exclude the Catalog Folder from Windows Defender (Windows’ integrates virus scanner) as well.

3. If not done recently, compact the databases

4. Close all open tabs.
5. If you have only one tab open, load something small in it with just a few thumbs

6. Close PSU
7. Start PSU

PSU should now start in a few seconds (8 seconds on mine). The number of images or the size of your catalog is completely irrelevant for startup time. Also make sure your network access is correct. It could be that PSU has to wait for networks to startup.

Also, make sure that you have the catalog files on a SSD and not a HDD. That also will impact performance by a factor of at least 4 times.

If your OS thinks that PSU is stalled by ghosting it (pale display) then please give it time. Definitely don't kill it when you still see CPU usage in the Task Manager (Windows) or the Activity Monitor (macOS).

How you describe your issue (assigning and a longer delay), I very much expect that you have not excluded the catalog folders from the virus scanner yet. Virus Scanners these days are overly active. And SQLite (the database system in PSU) constantly creates and deletes journal files (that is what it does). Virus Scanners don't like that and will try to scan these files constantly, which slows down the database to a crawl as the database must wait for the file to be released by the scanner. Make sure your catalog folders are excluded for scanning.

Another possibility is that you started compacting and during compact you killed the software. Then the next startup will take ages because SQLite has to process the left over journal files which are massive on compacting.

Does that help? Please provide feedback, positive or negative.

Since build 3022 startup stalls and unexpected hangs should have decimated. I work with PSU *all* the time (12 to 16 hours a day) and since build 3022 it *never* hung on me on Windows nor on macOS.

About your network drives going “out”. That is a networking issue. Psu identifies a drive by its unique serial number to eliminate chances for duplicates (network shares mounted as the same drive letter). Some network software randomly change drive serial numbers, even for the same drive. Samba is one of such networking software. When this happens, PSU thinks it’s a new drive and thinks the one in the catalog is not mounted. If this happens you can relocate that drive. Should not take more than a minute to relocate to the new drive serial. Right click on the root in PSU and select “Map to the correct physical folder”. Then point to the root of your network drive.

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 01 Aug 20 18:28

I thought they were all excluded but after checking again, I saw the ZoneAlarm was scanning them. Since removed. Also created a tiny catalogue to try. Reverted to the main one and remapped the network drive. Made an export of a set of files and started a catalogue compaction. Now to see how all that changes things.
Things to do - get a more modern set of network drives. The old D-Link DNS323 drives are get rather long in the tooth and don't play well with Windows 10.