Need help setting up email share

Larry56

Need help setting up email share

Post by Larry56 » 30 Jun 20 17:52

I've switched to Macbook Pro from a Windows computer and am having problems setting up email Sharing. I've been able to use the internal email but am having problems setting up my default email app, Postbox 7. I have Postbox set as default mail reader in Preferences but when I try to authenticate Apple Mail opens and not Postbox.

I've also tried setting up the Gmail but get login error. I'm sure that's because I have 2FA but I'm not asked for code or anything.

Although I was able to set up an outlook.com profile it opens the internal smtp but I prefer PSu opening my default email app.

Hert

Re: Need help setting up email share

Post by Hert » 01 Jul 20 0:36

In order to use Gmail, you must configure your Gmail account to allow “allow less secure app access”, which basically means 3rd party use. And if you use 2FA with your Gmail account then you must create an application specific password; also see https://support.google.com/mail/thread/39423525?hl=en
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 01 Jul 20 1:16

Thanks Hert but is there a way to send via Postbox? On my Windows computer I could send photos via my default email app and am looking to do the same on Mac.

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Jul 20 2:01

This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 01 Jul 20 3:58

Yes, that's helpful but it does open Apple Mail rather than my default email app. I'm guessing Psu will only open Apple mail on a Mac but not the same restrictions on Windows?

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Jul 20 8:49

Windows has a concept called "MAPI", which is a universal mail application interface. Any email client that supports MAPI (which is almost every) can be used as PSU calls the MAPI interface.
macOS doesn't have a standardized mail application interface, and hence every email client that needs to be support should provide some interface to be called from AppleScript. As there are many email clients this becomes an impossible task. PSU calls the Mail application because that is always installed and widely used.

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 01 Jul 20 16:21

Thank you Hert.

Side question. When I use the internal email how do I close the recipient box without sending the email? I have a problem with it in that I select the recipient before typing into the message box the only way to exit is either Return or OK but both end up sending without have a chance to add some text. i must be missing something.