how to compare out of sync file

babarnc

how to compare out of sync file

Post by babarnc » 30 Jun 20 14:10

Hi When a file is out of sync is there a way to compare side by side the metadata from the file with the metadata from the database, so that we can decide which way to synchronise.
If not possible from PSU I think this would make an interesting feature.
Especially because nowadays we develop the photos outside PSU and this can be done by some software by just altering the metadata, at the same time these software may change the metadata timestamps,... so it is not always easy to decide which way to synchronise.
A nice way to do it would simply be by showing the metadata in a table:
  • left column the file
  • right column the database
and color each line
  • green = identical values
  • red = different values
The best would then be for each red line which way to synchronise

regards

Hert

Re: how to compare out of sync file

Post by Hert » 01 Jul 20 0:47

After import all files should be in sync. And with the default settings in PSU, all files will automatically sync after changes are made in the catalog. In a workflow where psu is used for metadata modifications, a file can only be out of sync when metadata was not yet written. So a file that was fully imported once that is now out of sync, typically means you should write metadata (Ctrl-S or Cmd-S).

If you develop in Lightroom for instance then that means that the XMP is rewritten as LR writes edits to XMP. To get such changes, use Verify Folder. PSU Will find the change and suggest to reimport the metadata
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

babarnc

Re: how to compare out of sync file

Post by babarnc » 01 Jul 20 18:15

Yes that's true
But sometimes if you launch batch edit on many files that can take quite a long time to achieve. I noticed that if you quit PSU during the process, then opening back PSU does not relaunch the process, and you may end up with out of sync files because the edits in PSU have not yet been propagated.
For example I decided that country ,city,... labels are redondant with iptc/xmp fields so I removed the option to save them as keyword. It took a good 30 minutes to achive it on all of my photos.

Even worst situtation that I am sure happens more often than thought:
You import a batch of photos and start to catalog them at the same time you open your lightroom or whatever and start to adjust them.
Very bad idea I know. But it is bound to happen when you work in a hurry, or simply when you forget about it and get bored waiting for lightroom or PSU to complete a batch task... (I know from experience...)

So in these cases a simple table to compare would be really nice.
I think it could also be used for versionning photos or photo stacking to qickly decide how to propagate your metadata from primary photo to secondary photos.

regards