Rename files in a custom order, how to?

planetorth

Rename files in a custom order, how to?

Post by planetorth » 06 Jun 20 19:33

Greetings,
Total newbie to PSU here. I've been using iview/expressions/mediapro for nearly 20 years now in my work as a location scout for the film business.
I've been taking advantage of the C19 hiatus to finally find replacement software. PSU is a good match for the cataloging capabilities of Media Pro, and is a top contender.
I have been working on the Labels vs IPTC Keywords,searching, importing, etc.

My workflow requires that I ingest photos, and resize, keyword, and finally rename them in a particular sequence so that they display in that sequence once uploaded. The way I have done this in the past (Media Pro, Digikam, Lightroom, Bridge) is to manually reorder photos within the grid, then apply the renaming to that sequence. I see in the VIEW panel various options for sequencing the photos, but sadly no custom order.
Am I missing something?

To restate, I need to display groups of 20-50 photos in a custom sequence by renaming them to correspond to that sequence.
I am fine with transferring to folders, keywording, and renaming, it's the sequencing that I am challenged by.
I have a couple of other questions, but this is the big one.
thanks in advance for your advice!

Peter
Last edited by planetorth on 07 Jun 20 2:03, edited 1 time in total.

Hert

Re: Rename files in a custom order, how to?

Post by Hert » 06 Jun 20 19:49

Hi Peter,

A warm welcome to the forum. I'd like to point out that PSU allows you to rename images on ingestion also. But if your rename rule depends on a manually sort, then I recommend using a Portfolio Collection.
Also see this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMrk2HH_zKw

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

planetorth

Re: Rename files in a custom order, how to?

Post by planetorth » 06 Jun 20 21:02

Thanks Hert for the welcome and the prompt reply.
This solved my problem!
One quirk I noticed is that the re-order works when I highlight the portfolio or sub-portfolio by clicking on the name, but not when clicking on the "bubble" that says how many assets are contained. That took me a minute to work out.

I will try doing all my editing within portfolios and then using the "sync with cloud services" > "sync with copy to folder" to preserve the individual portfolios and sub-portfolios as folders within the main directory. This should simplify the process.

thanks and I'm sure I'll be back with another question or more.
Peter