Version Detection in v5

david mantripp

Version Detection in v5

Post by david mantripp » 25 May 20 10:35

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading to V5 from v4, but I have one key question: is version detection still limited to files in the the same folder ?

In v4, given 2 flies /TOP/YEAR/FINISHED/MONTH/myfile.tif and /TOP/YEAR/RAW/MONTH/myfile.raw, version detection cannot recognize myfile.tif & myfile.raw as versions, although I can version them manually.

Does this strange limitation still hold?

Thanks,
David Mantripp

G8DHE

Re: Version Detection in v5

Post by G8DHE » 25 May 20 11:23

I've always wanted Versioning between files with identical Date/Time of creation, by running from the timeline groupings perhaps ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

david mantripp

Post by david mantripp » 25 May 20 12:54

Well I've tried it now in V5 and it doesn't seem to work. I've created a set from a Dynamic Search including Raw files and generated TIFFs, with the same naming apart from the suffix, and version detection doesn't work. That's really a shame, really don't understand why not. After, as it says in the documentation:

Simply put: Photo Supreme is not restricted by the file system.

Also my brief experience with V5 was awful. Very unresponsive GUI, random scrambled thumbnails, colour blocks appearing initially before thumbnails when I switch views, not responding to keyboard shortcuts, drag and drop into dynamic search not working......no idea what was going on there, V4 runs fine. and finally, a trial version of V5 which overwrites licensed V4. Not impressed.

I've restored V4, but sadly it seems that PSU doesn't quite fit my needs, and never will.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 25 May 20 13:50

Can you not select Siblings option at the YEAR level ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 25 May 20 13:52

If you change your file structure from:
/TOP/YEAR/FINISHED/MONTH/myfile.tif and /TOP/YEAR/RAW/MONTH/myfile.raw

into
/TOP/YEAR/MONTH/FINISHED/myfile.tif and /TOP/YEAR/MONTH/RAW/myfile.raw

Then you can configure the version detection to scan in "Sibling folders" and it will work.
Very unresponsive GUI
V5 is a multitude faster than V4. You probably need to compact the database after the conversion to V5.
random scrambled thumbnails
What does this mean? I don't recall any V5 user reporting this.
colour blocks appearing initially before thumbnails when I switch views
That is correct. In V4 you would see "nothing" before thumbnails. And in V5 you see color blocks. Not much difference.
not responding to keyboard shortcuts
Which one? The work fine here. Don't forget: V5 is V4 PLUS 1, not like it's something completely different.
drag and drop into dynamic search not working
Works fine here
V4 runs fine
Great!
and finally, a trial version of V5 which overwrites licensed V4
If you install to the same folder then you indeed overwrite your existing version. V5 takes over your V4 settings (a good thing imho, unless you like doing everything again, just because you upgrade to V5). V4 configurations are converted to V5. V4 and V5 can co-exist but you then need to work with command line parameters to keep them separated. In general you create a backup in V4, work with V5, and if you don't like it then revert to V4.

Here's what is added on top of V4, improved which was also in V4, and fixes compared to V4. Quite an extensive list:
https://www.idimager.com/what-s-new-in-photo-supreme-v5
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

david mantripp

Post by david mantripp » 25 May 20 16:27

Thanks, but I don't want to change the file structure I've been using for many years just to make work for PSU... however much I would like to, as PSU is very very close to an ideal solution for me and I very much like how it works. Since it is database driven I really cannot see why I can't have a setting of "Any offset", even if it is "at user's own risk".

For the other things, well at random, system shortcuts like SELECT ALL were not working. Amongst a lot of other things. I also used a new, test database, I'm not _that_ stupid - so I'm not why I should need to compact.

My final horror story is that now, after spending an afternoon versioning manually, I've seen that many of the TIF files I've versioned have had their Date Modified changed to "Today", and are either opening in Photoshop in Camera Raw, sometimes ok, sometime completely corrupt, or are not opening at all with Photoshop stating that the file is incorrectly terminated. I haven't used any other application today which should touch this files, and my understanding is (was) that PSU doesn't touch them either.... and yet.

Fortunately I have a backup.

Also, I would kind of expect that "works fine here" for the developer, otherwise I would hope it hadn't been deployed. But it doesn't work fine here, and if that's what you call use support, well, count me out. Maybe I'm just cursed. Sorry to bother you.