Sync Setting: Write keywords an macOS tags

Al_M

Sync Setting: Write keywords an macOS tags

Post by Al_M » 18 May 20 21:37

I recently tried this relatively new (as of build 2766) feature for the first time.
I must admit I have been wanting just such a feature for a while. Sometimes I just want to quickly find a photo without opening up PSu and the macOS Finder has the ability to find them using some simple criteria, including macOS Tags.
I am having some issues however, and I believe it's related to some of my Sync-settings. Of course, when it comes to these there is often confusion. And I have not been able to find specific posts in the forum specific to this new feature.

My objective is to have my label structure written as individual keywords into macOS Tags.

Settings Details:
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 3.00.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 3.00.04 PM.png (129.79 KiB) Viewed 368 times

I have two labels assigned:
  • 9/11 Memorial & Museum (Places::North America::United States::New York::New York::Manhattan)
  • Freedom Tower (Objects::architectural structures::buildings)
With the above sync-settings, this is the result (PSu Information Panel on the left; macOS Finder Preview Panel on the right) :
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 2.57.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 2.57.50 PM.png (435.69 KiB) Viewed 368 times

In my mind, as I understand the settings, I was expecting to see all the hierarchal labels as individual keywords in both the catalog and the Finder Tags.

So, I went back to the sync-settings and disabled the "Include all parent level labels as keywords and I got the following results (again, PSu Information Panel on the left; macOS Finder Preview Panel on the right):
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 2.56.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 2.56.06 PM.png (506.11 KiB) Viewed 368 times

NOTE 1: "One World Trade Center" and "One WTC" are synonyms for the "Freedom Tower" label.
NOTE 2: "Manhattan" is a label I created under New York (city) to separate the 5 boroughs which I mapped to the XMP dc:subject field.

Now at least this was an improvement, since I could see more of my labels, including synonyms. But I am still missing the hierarchical labels (parents of "9/11 Memorial & Museum" as well as "Freedom Tower".)

I have been a PSu user for almost 1-year now. I thought I was getting the hang of this, but I still get confused/frustrated. I'm sure there is something simple that I'm missing. Can anyone help me figure out what that might be?
Photo Supreme V5 Server Edition (build 2971)
PostgreSQL 12
macOS 10.15.4 (Catalina)
Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3.0 GHz 8-Core Xeon E5, 64 GB DDR3
MacBook Pro (Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Quad-Core i7, 16 GB DDR3L

Hert

Re: Sync Setting: Write keywords an macOS tags

Post by Hert » 19 May 20 12:22

By default, catalog labels for places are defined as "Do not create keyword". That is because place info is already stored in the "location" metadata fields (like city, country etc).

Check how your "9/11 Memorial & Museum" catalog label is defined.
Label_NoKeyword.jpg
Label_NoKeyword.jpg (124.79 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Tip; you can change that value for a range of selected catalog labels.

This apart from the discussion if "9/11 Memorial & Museum" should be considered a "Place" label.
Personally I would create a top level category "Landmarks", and store the label there. The image then gets two labels assigned: Places->USA->New York and "Landmarks->Museums->9/11 Memorial & Museum".
But it's a grey area if a landmark should be considered a geographical location or not.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Al_M

Re: Sync Setting: Write keywords an macOS tags

Post by Al_M » 19 May 20 15:46

Hert,

I found the issue. Under my label details for "Manhattan" I had mapped to the XMP field for dc:subject. Looking back, I'm not sure why I did that.

Apparently that was causing the keyword to be written twice. My assumption is that it did so once because I told it to via the mapping for the Places label. And again because it's in the Places hierarchy.

I guess this makes sense. This is how I am rationalizing it: the Places label mapping must take priority over the Objects label mappings. Therefore, because I mapped "Manhattan" to the keyword (dc:subject) field, the "Manhattan" keyword shows instead of the Objects label hierarchy keywords (Objects::architectural structures::buildings::Freedom Tower).

Can someone confirm my thinking here?

In any case, now that I removed the mapping to the dc:subject filed for the "Manhattan" label, all my keywords show up as expected.
This apart from the discussion if "9/11 Memorial & Museum" should be considered a "Place" label.
Personally I would create a top level category "Landmarks", and store the label there. The image then gets two labels assigned: Places->USA->New York and "Landmarks->Museums->9/11 Memorial & Museum".
But it's a grey area if a landmark should be considered a geographical location or not.
I agree that my labeling would seem to fall in a grey area. Since I use the Google Maps API for reverse-geocoding, 90% or better the Location field (xmp:Iptc4xmpCore:Location) gets populated with a street name. The remaining 10% of the time it gets left blank. Though that may be useful to some, it's not that useful to me. So for my example of the Freedom Tower photo, Google would return "Albany Street" for the location field. I just modified that to "9/11 Memorial & Museum". If I really cared to know which street it was on (or I was on when I snapped the photo), I could just use Display on map or switch to the Geo Tag panel.

In another example I had photos from the Bronx Zoo. Google leaves the Location field blank on a reverse-lookup. So I just filled it with "The Bronx Zoo" and a new Location label is created. Sometimes PSu get a little weird and puts the labels in unexpected hierarchy levels, but that's easy enough to change by either Merge with label or Relocate this label options.
Photo Supreme V5 Server Edition (build 2971)
PostgreSQL 12
macOS 10.15.4 (Catalina)
Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3.0 GHz 8-Core Xeon E5, 64 GB DDR3
MacBook Pro (Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Quad-Core i7, 16 GB DDR3L