File moving slowdown

Mke

Re: File moving slowdown

Post by Mke » 13 May 20 15:03

Both machines are running the same virus scanner (different flavors of ESET) but, just in case, I've run another test with the antivirus disabled on my machine and it makes no difference.

In fact, the time saving introduced by build 2886 has also disappeared, and moving the files now takes around 3' 20" again (until thumbnail building finishes). I'm 99% certain that I measured to the end of thumbnail building in all my measurements, so maybe the time saved was as a temporary improvement resulting from the database upgrade that 2886 ran.

Hert

Post by Hert » 13 May 20 17:49

The database upgrade on 2886 was only for the Server Edition. For the Single User edition, only the database version number got updated.

How would you explain the different timings you get on the laptop vs the main machine? Your laptop moves in 17 seconds and the main machine takes 3"20. In both cases for the same 100 files.

Something must be different.
Try to exclude the PSU catalog folder from the virus scanner (not only ESET but also Windows Defender is you have that running). If that doesn't help, try to temporarily disable the virusscanner completely to see if that causes the impact
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 14 May 20 15:39

Hert wrote:
13 May 20 17:49
The database upgrade on 2886 was only for the Server Edition. For the Single User edition, only the database version number got updated.
Your suggestion was to try build 2883 which suppressed the Windows progress dialog; when I downloaded the latest version it was build 2886, rather than 2883. Prior to that I was on build 2828.

I've therefore been able to test on builds 2378, 2828, 2872 and 2886.

Hert wrote:
How would you explain the different timings you get on the laptop vs the main machine? Your laptop moves in 17 seconds and the main machine takes 3"20. In both cases for the same 100 files.
The apparent difference is that my machine spends a long time building thumbnails as part of the move (see image); the borrowed machine doesn't do this (and neither does my machine running build 2378). Why?
BuildingThumbnails.png
BuildingThumbnails.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

Note that my machine running build 2378 moves the 100 files in 11 seconds. It is only the later builds on my machine that run slowly and build thumbnails each time.

A change between build 2378 and build 2828 therefore seems to be the likely problem. I think we've eliminated all the other obvious possibilities.

If you would like to PM or email me with a link to the intermediate builds I'd be pleased to run more tests to try to identify the origin.
I'd rather like to start with builds 2821 and 2834, to see if there's anything in my thumbnail hunch.

Hert wrote:
Try to exclude the PSU catalog folder from the virus scanner (not only ESET but also Windows Defender is you have that running). If that doesn't help, try to temporarily disable the virusscanner completely to see if that causes the impact
Temporarily disabling the virus scanner completely is what I tried yesterday. I've just checked that Windows Defender is permanently disabled when I do that (it is) and tested again anyway, with the same result.

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 May 20 20:04

Thumbs are built in the background. The moving completed before that. And while the thumbs build you can continue using the software. So of the 3+ minutes, how long is the actual wait time?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 May 20 5:20

I’ve been thinking this through and the only possible reason why thumbs are being built is because PSU monitors the file system and it receives a message from Windows that a new file got created. Psu will then import the file if it manages that folder. This will only happen if psu doesn’t know about the file yet. And that can only happen if the message from Windows is received before psu updates the catalog after the move. I guess the faster the machine (or file system), the higher the chance. I’ll check out this hypothesis later.

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 May 20 9:35

Please try this in build 2896.

Mke

Post by Mke » 15 May 20 17:23

Testing with build 2896 has turned up some very interesting results.

After upgrading, a couple of untimed test runs, and then a reboot, I'm now getting a time of around 2' 32" until the 'Moving files' message box disappears, which is an improvement. Curiously, that's also the time that I was getting after upgrading to build 2886, so it would be interesting to see if it slows again as that build apparently did. While doing this, the 'custom thumbnail info' lines go blank, then reappear, as each file is moved (though sometimes the lines for more than one images are blank at once).

More interesting still, following your hint, is what happens if I try to continue to use the software while the file move is happening:
  • If I click on a different tab that's set to 'Folder' view, I do get switched to the tab, after a short lag - but the contents are blank, the spinner just keeps spinning and I can do nothing.
  • However, if I immediately click on a different tab that's set to Categories, the file move (timed to the disappearance of the 'Moving files' process message) completes in around 16 seconds - a huge improvement (slower than build 2378, but in line with the 17 seconds on the borrowed laptop for build 2886).
In either of these cases, the tab that I clicked on becomes confused about what it should display. The category tree continues to be displayed in the left hand panel, but the path of the 'moved-to-files-folder' is shown at the top, and no content is displayed; clicking away to another tab and back again then displays the folder content - it should still be in Categories view.

Also, when I turn back to the files-move-from tab, the contents of the tab haven't been refreshed - it still shows all the images, but should now be blank. Clicking away to another tab and back again does refresh the screen to show no images.

When clicking away to a Portfolios tab, the file move completes in just 13 seconds (and the tab content display problem also occurs). Clicking on tabs showing Timeline, Ratings, etc. gives similar results.

It therefore looks as though the problem revolves around redrawing the screen, rather than actually moving the files.

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 May 20 17:33

Let’s try to stay consistent. You mentioned that the moving takes place and after that you get the thumb building progress.
Did you get the thumb building?

The reported time should be that of starting the hourglass cursor to ending the wait cursor. And while you have a wait cursor: wait. Don’t click. I mentioned to continue working while the thumbs building progress was running.

Maybe post a video. That provides all detail needed and works way better than words.

Mke

Post by Mke » 15 May 20 19:18

Build 2869 no longer shows a 'Building thumbnails' process. There is only a 'Moving files' process.

The reported times are consistent - the spinner stops at the same time as the 'Moving files' process ends.

I've just emailed you a couple of videos illustrating the two cases mentioned in the bullet points in my message above.