Versioning with new documentation

Bongo

Versioning with new documentation

Post by Bongo » 12 Apr 20 10:57

If I see it correctly there is new documentation for versioning. "Quick Manual - Versions and Stacks". Therefore I try to adhere strictly to this documentation.
I made a test directory that looks like this:
hc_178.png
hc_178.png (12.63 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
These are my settings:
hc_179.png
hc_179.png (41.35 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
album display: %FileName.jpg
web display: %FileName_WEB.jpg
HD: %FileName_HD.jpg

Then I import this folder with these settings:
hc_180.png
hc_180.png (44.68 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
This is the result:
hc_182.png
hc_182.png (115.33 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
The RAW as the main version was correctly recognized.
The _WEB.jpg was recognized as an placeholder album display:
hc_183.png
hc_183.png (33.57 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
The .jpg is version set but has no placeholder.
The _HD.jpg is not in version set.

In the second version set, all photos are included but no placeholders are assigned.

If I repeat the test, it looks very different.

I actually have the different types in different directories. But first I wanted it to work as in the documentation.

@Hert
Am I making a mistake? Or is it a bug?

To the others.
I can not find that someone has the same problems. Does it work for you as described in the documentation? Or is nobody using it? It's very important to me.

I use PS 5.4.0.2798 on Windows.
Thanks for the support.
Bongo
Regards, Bongo
Photo Supreme V5 Single User Edition, Windows 10.

Hert

Re: Versioning with new documentation

Post by Hert » 13 Apr 20 10:33

I just tried it here with a similar file naming and the version detection works fine. The HD, WEB and album versions are all detected.
Try to verify the results after restarting PSU or revisiting the folder.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Bongo

Post by Bongo » 18 Apr 20 16:40

I've tried it so many times. It does not work for me.
I also made a new catalog. My old catalog is a conversion from IDIMAGER. But it doesn't work with the new catalog either.

@Hert
Can you give me your exact settings? Then I try it the same way.
What else can I do?

Thanks for the support.
Bongo
Regards, Bongo

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Apr 20 18:23

Hi Bongo, I mirrored your settings.
After that I ran the version detection wizard from the thumb's context menu -> Versions -> Version Detection
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Bongo

Post by Bongo » 20 Apr 20 12:22

It seems to work better via the context menu. All versions are found.
hc_193.png
hc_193.png (72.2 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
But the placeholders are not set. I need it, for example, if I am looking for photos and only want to display the WEB version.
hc_194.png
hc_194.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 2934 times

@Hert
Are the placeholders set automatically for you? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the support.
Bongo
Regards, Bongo

Bongo

Post by Bongo » 24 Apr 20 13:09

@Hert
Sorry to ask again. Is the placeholder set automatically for you? If so, what could I do wrong?

Thanks for the support.
Bongo
Regards, Bongo

Hert

Post by Hert » 25 Apr 20 7:47

Yes, it does assign placeholders. Did you start the version detection for the selected RAW file?

Bongo

Post by Bongo » 25 Apr 20 10:03

Select only the RAW file (main version)? I have selected all files. That's how it worked with IDImager. Anyway.

I have a new test setup:
hc_204.png
hc_204.png (17.86 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
2 sets without spaces in the file name. 1 set with spaces in the file name.

The RAW file selects context menu -> Versions -> Version Detection.
All placeholders were found in the 2 sets without spaces.
The placeholders were not found in the set with spaces in the file name.

I think the problem is the spaces in the file name. But spaces are my standard. Do I have to rename all files or is there another solution?

If I do versioning via import, I have my original problem. A placeholder is only sporadically found for the files without spaces in the file name. I cannot select a RAW file when importing. What is the recommended import procedure to make it work?

After the update from build 2827 nothing changed.

Thanks for the support.
Bongo
Regards, Bongo

Hert

Post by Hert » 25 Apr 20 11:03

Only select the main version, right click, versions, version detection. There’s a shortcut. All the files must be part of the catalog, and stored in either the same or lower folders as the file you’re starting from.

Spaces in file names don’t matter. Psu asks the OS if the filename matches the mask that you’ve configured. Windows has nothing against spaces in file names.
The import module uses the exact same routine as the manual version detection. So worry about the manual detection first before moving to the import module.

Bongo

Post by Bongo » 27 Apr 20 17:27

Spaces matter. This is 100% reproducible. I am using Windows 10.

I managed to rename the file names without spaces. The placeholder assignment works with the context menu.

I come from IDImager and always have the RAW file as the main version. When I move through the catalog in PSU (categories, portfolios, etc.), the RAW file is always displayed. The album display is shown in IDImager. How can I see the album display in PSU?

The next is the synchronization of the version set. Labels are synchronized in all versions. That's working. But star ratings are not synchronized. Where can I activate it?

Thanks for the support.
Bongo
Regards, Bongo

Hert

Post by Hert » 29 Apr 20 10:47

I noticed that spaces in the file name indeed do matter for file name mask matching.

Bongo

Post by Bongo » 29 Apr 20 16:06

Hert wrote:
29 Apr 20 10:47
I noticed that spaces in the file name indeed do matter for file name mask matching.
What does that mean? Will the bug be corrected?
Bongo wrote:
27 Apr 20 17:27
I come from IDImager and always have the RAW file as the main version. When I move through the catalog in PSU (categories, portfolios, etc.), the RAW file is always displayed. The album display is shown in IDImager. How can I see the album display in PSU?
Am I making a mistake? Can't PSU do it? When all versions are finished I don't want to see the raw RAW as a preview image. Nobody wants that.
Bongo wrote:
27 Apr 20 17:27
The next is the synchronization of the version set. Labels are synchronized in all versions. That's working. But star ratings are not synchronized. Where can I activate it?
If I do a star rating, it applies to all versions. Am I making a mistake? Can't PSU do it?

Thanks for the support.
Bongo
Regards, Bongo

Hert

Post by Hert » 29 Apr 20 21:40

Photo Supreme always shows the main version

Ratings are not related to version sets. Every individual version can have its own rating. Not sure why you think it’s applying a rating to the full stack.

Mke

Post by Mke » 30 Apr 20 14:06

Bongo wrote:
29 Apr 20 16:06
When all versions are finished I don't want to see the raw RAW as a preview image. Nobody wants that.
In your settings you have 'Main version detection method' set to 'First RAW else JPG' - you need to change it.

Bongo

Post by Bongo » 30 Apr 20 16:05

Mke wrote:
30 Apr 20 14:06
In your settings you have 'Main version detection method' set to 'First RAW else JPG' - you need to change it.
Thanks for the tip.
In 'Main version detection method' I set 'Custom File Mask' %FileName.jpg.
Then my album display is the main version.

My catalog has been converted by IDImager. IDImager is the previous version of Photo Supreme (are there still old users?). The photos of the last 16 years are versioned. The main version is RAW. The album display was always shown in IDImager. It worked there.

Do I have to make all versions new now? Or is there a trick?
Regards, Bongo