Ingest read-only

mballe

Ingest read-only

Post by mballe » 04 Mar 20 6:54

Hi,

I have been trying to use the image ingest feature "mark ingested image as read-only", but it does not appear to have any effect. The ingested files are not marked locked or read-only, and metadata is still written to the file.

Has anybody gotten this to work on macOS?

Thanks
Michael

mballe

Re: Ingest read-only

Post by mballe » 11 Mar 20 22:12

Hi,

are there really nobody that have experience with marking images as read-only?

Thanks
Michael

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 12 Mar 20 12:54

With build 2766 and Windows 10 it works. Explorer shows files to have the read-only flag set, and writing metadata from PSu for jpegs creates a sidecar xmp file.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

mballe

Post by mballe » 12 Mar 20 16:08

That is exactly the behavior I wan't, sidecars always being used, and originals not being touched.

I can totally see how the read-only flag can pose a problem with different platforms and network file systems, but if only PSu had an application wide or catalog wide setting that told it to assume original image files were read-only, it would work.

Hert

Post by Hert » 13 Mar 20 12:19

Build 2773 can now be downloaded from the website;
https://www.idimager.com/what-s-new-in-photo-supreme-v5
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

mballe

Post by mballe » 13 Mar 20 16:38

Hert wrote:
13 Mar 20 12:19
Build 2773 can now be downloaded from the website;
https://www.idimager.com/what-s-new-in-photo-supreme-v5
According to the release note: "Added Sync setting for reading and writing macOS Tags"

I am not sure how that would help with marking ingested images read-only?

Also, I have not been able to get reading of macOS tags to work, though writing does seem to work. But existing tags seems to be wiped when writing tags.

Hert

Post by Hert » 13 Mar 20 17:17

This topic is about read only. If you have questions about macOS Tags start a topic for that.

But macOS tags was implemented in an earlier version. Check the fixes section of the “what’s new page”
Build 2773; Fix for setting files read only on macOS
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

mballe

Post by mballe » 13 Mar 20 17:29

Hert wrote:
13 Mar 20 17:17
This topic is about read only. If you have questions about macOS Tags start a topic for that.

But macOS tags was implemented in an earlier version. Check the fixes section of the “what’s new page”
I wasn't trying to change the subject, but I followed you link to release notes, and was just assuming the top entry on the list was for the most recent release.

mballe

Post by mballe » 13 Mar 20 19:44

Hert wrote:
13 Mar 20 17:17

I can confirm that the read-only feature now works correctly. Thanks for fixing this so quickly.

Now I just need to figure out how to convince my Synology NAS to support file permissions as I want.

mballe

Post by mballe » 17 Mar 20 16:54

At first it looked like things was fine with Build 2773. Files were correctly made read-only on import, and at first it appeared like xmp sidecars were being created.

But upon a closer look, it turned out the the created xmp sidecars were in fact empty files.

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Mar 20 10:28

I believe you're using a NAS. Try this on your local file system first. Then make sure that the file system rights of the NAS are correct.