DB upgrade PG from 10 to 11 - How to import backup?

yogavidyapubs

DB upgrade PG from 10 to 11 - How to import backup?

Post by yogavidyapubs » 20 Jan 20 7:17

Hi,

I was running Photo Supreme 5.2.0.2570 with PostGresSQL 10 backend. I want to upgrade to PG 11 so I made a backup of the PS catalog (data only, not thumbnails).

Now PG 11 is up and running, but when I run PS it says idimager_main user not found. This makes sense as the new PG install doesn't have the photosupreme databases or user(s).

How do I initiate that process so that I can get to main PS screen where I can restore/import the catalog saved which was running under PG 10?
If there is a better recommendation for this process for updating the backend database and restoring PS data, please let me know.

I tried fresh uninstall and reinstall of PhotoSupreme, including removing AppData/Local/IDImager, but somehow previous login information is always remembered and the login prompt appears.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hert

Re: DB upgrade PG from 10 to 11 - How to import backup?

Post by Hert » 20 Jan 20 9:02

First of all a warm welcome to the forum.

Follow these steps when moving to a new database server;
1. Backup your database
2. Start PSU while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Win (Windows) or Ctrl+Opt+Cmd (macOS). This will start PSU with the database creation dialog. Keep the combination pressed until the dialog appears
3. Create a new database on the new server
4. Start PSU and login to the newly created database
5. Restore the backup

You probably didn't do step 2.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

yogavidyapubs

Post by yogavidyapubs » 22 Jan 20 6:36

Thank you for the welcome and detailed response.

Correct, I didn't do step 2. I looked for v5 documentation online (via Google and browsing the site), but couldn't find it.

Because we only backed up the metadata, I assume the thumbnails will be created without issue once we start using PSU?

Thanks again.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Jan 20 9:29

I assume the thumbnails will be created without issue once we start using PSU?
They will build as needed. But better use "Tools -> Build missing thumbs and previews" from the hamburger menu
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

yogavidyapubs

Post by yogavidyapubs » 22 Jan 20 12:59

I went through the steps as you described, Hert.

1. I didn't see a prompt from PSU asking which database version I was using so I ended up uninstalling, then resinstalling PSU and choosing v12 for PostGreSQL.
2. Starting PSY again with Ctrl+Alt+Win until I got to point where I could restore a backup
3. The memory on a 16GB dedicated server gradually went down until PSU gave out of memory error, and Windows said please shut down PSU. This occurred after the 99% mark on the PSU progress bar. The actual process holding on to all the memory was from postgres.exe.
4. I tried 3 times, but no luck. Nothing else is running on this dedicated machine for PSU.

* I did go through the PSU PostGres manual and change all the performance settings as detailed.
* I'll see if the result is any different for PG11 and if no change, then revert back to PSU 5.2 (our previous version) and see if that works
* I have many screenshots if helpful for troubleshooting

If you can think of that may help complete the restore of a 15GB metadata file without about 455,000 images in the catalog, I'll try it.

Thanks.

Dismayed

Post by Dismayed » 18 Feb 21 23:44

Hert wrote:
20 Jan 20 9:02
First of all a warm welcome to the forum.

Follow these steps when moving to a new database server;
1. Backup your database
2. Start PSU while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Win (Windows) or Ctrl+Opt+Cmd (macOS). This will start PSU with the database creation dialog. Keep the combination pressed until the dialog appears
3. Create a new database on the new server
4. Start PSU and login to the newly created database
5. Restore the backup

You probably didn't do step 2.
I'll follow these steps when I upgrade from PSU 5 to PSU 6 since I also plan to upgrade PostgreSQL, too. Perhaps these step could be added to the PSU Server installation guide.
“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.”
~ Will Rogers

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Feb 21 9:17

This is documented in the Maintenance Quick Start manual.