"fake" categories in new catalog

johnlill

"fake" categories in new catalog

Post by johnlill » 02 Jan 20 16:29

I was an Idimager user years ago and loved it. When it changed to Photo Supreme I was not happy with the new product (seemed like a big step backwards) so I switched to Lightroom. Since LR 6 is showing its age, and will no longer work when I update to Mac OS X Catalina (I don't like the subscription model), I thought I'd revisit Photo Supreme. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much it has improved! Very powerful and intuitive. One thing I found a little annoying - after I imported a couple test folders, I was surprised to see several dummy categories. I expected - and wanted - the top level categories, but why "Simone", "Jones family", "Antarctica", etc.? I created a new catalog and those same dummy categories are there. I know that I can delete them one by one, but I would think that a new catalog would only have the top level categories.
The best thing that I've seen so far is that Hert is actively involved in the forums and support!

G8DHE

Re: "fake" categories in new catalog

Post by G8DHE » 02 Jan 20 19:58

You could also drag/drop them under the right categories as well of course rather than delete them ?
If there under Misc, they may be due to unmatched Keywords that have been read and don't have a "home" hence appear under Miscellaneous.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Jan 20 21:13

Welcome back as a Photo Supreme user.
If you import catalog labels from Lightroom and in Lightroom you had "Jones Family" as the top level that that returns as a top level category in Photo Supreme during import.

Best steps to follow are:
1. For each "fake" category, create a catalog label at the correct level. So create "Jones Family" in the People category.
2. Select the sub labels below the fake "Jones Family" (use Ctrl+click to select multiple or Shift+click to select a range)
3. Drag them to the new "Jones Family" inside the People category.

Repeat that for every "fake" top level.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

johnlill

Post by johnlill » 02 Jan 20 21:22

Thanks, Hert. These are not top level categories. They are under the correct top level categories - however they did not come from my photos! I did not import my Lightroom keywords. I just copied a couple of years of photos as a test database and let PS read the xmp files. They are categories that I've never used, and none of them have any images assigned to them. So they weren't put there by Photo Supreme? Very strange! As I said, it's easy enough to delete them, just a little strange that they showed up!

johnlill

Post by johnlill » 02 Jan 20 21:32

G8DHE wrote:
02 Jan 20 19:58
You could also drag/drop them under the right categories as well of course rather than delete them ?
If there under Misc, they may be due to unmatched Keywords that have been read and don't have a "home" hence appear under Miscellaneous.
Thanks, Geoff. There are no images in these categories - I was just surprised to see several categories that I have never used show up in the category list. I had assumed that they are there as examples in a new Photo Supreme install since they were there when I created a new catalog too. I created a new catalog but did not import any images this time. The "fake" categories are all there.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 3.30.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 3.30.01 PM.png (647.56 KiB) Viewed 677 times