Error in script 'Find Duplicates in Photo Supreme'

Mke

Error in script 'Find Duplicates in Photo Supreme'

Post by Mke » 22 Dec 19 1:19

I've just tried to run the above script from the repository (https://repository.idimager.com/openres ... 179D80CACB),
but get the following error:
ScriptError.png
ScriptError.png (9.73 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
If anyone is able to suggest how to correct this it would be much appreciated...

Hert

Re: Error in script 'Find Duplicates in Photo Supreme'

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 19 10:17

That script was written for V3. It is now updated to fix the missing parameter in later versions.
But you don't need this script. States -> Duplicate Files is more precise in its results.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 22 Dec 19 18:28

Thanks Hert

I suspected that it was for an older version from the date. It does now run and generate results, but also terminates with an access violation:
RuntimeError.png
RuntimeError.png (12.21 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
It does indeed seem to find nearly 3 times as many duplicates, so probably won't help.

My reason for wanting to try it was because the inbuilt version seems to have some peculiarities - see the strip & comments below:
Duplicates.png
Duplicates.png (183.86 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
From this stirp, image 20180422_114909.jpg is displayed twice - however the file name and folder are identical, so apparently one image is being displayed as a duplicate when it isn't. Actually, if I search on that file name, the search does return a duplicate, one under that file name, and another under a different file name and folder - so there is a duplicate.

The next image, 20180422_115222.jpg, is only displayed once in the results. If I search on that file name, then there is indeed a duplicate of that too, it's just not displayed in the results.
The same applies to 20180422_115357.jpg

From my individual spot checks, it seems likely that everything found by the inbuilt duplicate finder does have a duplicate, but without it's going to take a while to go through everything individually to verify what the actual duplicates are.

What I had hoped for was that all duplicate images would be displayed next to each other in the results, with their actual names and paths.

Is there a quick fix to this? If not I'll raise it in Mantis.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 19 23:38

When psu shows duplicates then they are duplicates. Folder with filename is not what identifies a file. The serial number of the drive also matters.
Check Folders if perhaps you have duplicates there. Replaced a physical hard drive recently?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 23 Dec 19 19:15

That's weird.

Yesterday the inbuilt 'Duplicate Files' display was showing files as above - with some genuine duplicates in pairs but with identical filenames and paths, but most of them shown as single files. I spent last night going through them and deleted at least a couple of hundred JPEGs.

Today I switched to the same 'Duplicate Files' display... and all remaining duplicates - 138 files - are presented exactly as I would expect them to display - duplicates ordered adjacent to each other, all with the correct filenames and their actual paths!

I can't see any reason for the difference, and thanks for the suggestion Hert, but no, there have been no changes to my hard drives. Could there be a threshold above which the display gets jumbled (the number of duplicates is the only difference between today and yesterday)? Other than that, I can see no explanation - but great to have everything 'back to normal' today :)

rfcat

Post by rfcat » 03 Feb 20 7:45

There used to be a find duplicate files in PSU, but I can't find it anywhere.I am also trying to identify all thumbs that do not have a matching raw file eg just standalone thumbs. Any ideas?
Thank you.
Ian
Ian M
Photography, understanding how to catalogue so I can find my photos. :D .

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Feb 20 9:33

Check
States-Similar Files or
States-Duplicate Files

rfcat

Post by rfcat » 04 Feb 20 0:15

Thank you, that identified a number of duplicates.
Do you have any way of identifying thm that are not associated with a jpg or raw file?
Ian
Ian M

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Feb 20 9:52

Do you mean that you'd like to see only files that are not JPG or RAW? In that case, use the filter button and select all but JPG and your RAW extension(s) from the Types drop down.

rfcat

Post by rfcat » 06 Feb 20 3:36

Hi Hert,
no, I mean all THM files that are not associated with a raw or jpeg file.
Ian
Ian M

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Feb 20 16:27

THM files are sidecar files and not files that PSU catalogs as "image files" (meaning THM files are not listed in PSU; and so PSU can't show you THM files without a "main image file" if there is no "main image file").

rfcat

Post by rfcat » 08 Feb 20 23:24

Thank you, looks like a long and slow process of identify and deleting by hand. My previous catalogue application was very good at ctreating thumbnails but not very good a removing them. I gave up on that software when I moved to PSU it was not well supported.
I found this issue while investigating a missing sub-catalogue.
Ian
(Fixed spelling)
Last edited by rfcat on 09 Feb 20 6:44, edited 1 time in total.
Ian M

Mke

Post by Mke » 09 Feb 20 1:27

rfcat wrote:
08 Feb 20 23:24
Thank you, looks like a long and slow process of identify and elating by hand.
Maybe not. You could use a tool like FileListCreator https://www.sttmedia.com/filelistcreator (Windows, macOS and Linux, donation-ware) to generate a CSV files of your folders and files, then create a formula in Excel / LibreOffice Calc to point out where an image name on one line isn't followed by an identically named THM on the next...

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 09 Feb 20 23:25

If the .THM files were created by software you don't use any more and are just ignored by PSu does it matter whether they are associated with another file or not? Couldn't you just use file manager to search your system for files with that extension, delete the lot, and be done with it?
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

rfcat

Post by rfcat » 10 Feb 20 4:26

Thank you, brilliant suggestion because all my photo now have xmp files so all the thm files can be deleted.
Ian
Ian M