Error in script 'Find Duplicates in Photo Supreme'

Mke

Error in script 'Find Duplicates in Photo Supreme'

Post by Mke » 22 Dec 19 1:19

I've just tried to run the above script from the repository (https://repository.idimager.com/openres ... 179D80CACB),
but get the following error:
ScriptError.png
ScriptError.png (9.73 KiB) Viewed 278 times
If anyone is able to suggest how to correct this it would be much appreciated...

Hert

Re: Error in script 'Find Duplicates in Photo Supreme'

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 19 10:17

That script was written for V3. It is now updated to fix the missing parameter in later versions.
But you don't need this script. States -> Duplicate Files is more precise in its results.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 22 Dec 19 18:28

Thanks Hert

I suspected that it was for an older version from the date. It does now run and generate results, but also terminates with an access violation:
RuntimeError.png
RuntimeError.png (12.21 KiB) Viewed 230 times
It does indeed seem to find nearly 3 times as many duplicates, so probably won't help.

My reason for wanting to try it was because the inbuilt version seems to have some peculiarities - see the strip & comments below:
Duplicates.png
Duplicates.png (183.86 KiB) Viewed 230 times
From this stirp, image 20180422_114909.jpg is displayed twice - however the file name and folder are identical, so apparently one image is being displayed as a duplicate when it isn't. Actually, if I search on that file name, the search does return a duplicate, one under that file name, and another under a different file name and folder - so there is a duplicate.

The next image, 20180422_115222.jpg, is only displayed once in the results. If I search on that file name, then there is indeed a duplicate of that too, it's just not displayed in the results.
The same applies to 20180422_115357.jpg

From my individual spot checks, it seems likely that everything found by the inbuilt duplicate finder does have a duplicate, but without it's going to take a while to go through everything individually to verify what the actual duplicates are.

What I had hoped for was that all duplicate images would be displayed next to each other in the results, with their actual names and paths.

Is there a quick fix to this? If not I'll raise it in Mantis.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 19 23:38

When psu shows duplicates then they are duplicates. Folder with filename is not what identifies a file. The serial number of the drive also matters.
Check Folders if perhaps you have duplicates there. Replaced a physical hard drive recently?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 23 Dec 19 19:15

That's weird.

Yesterday the inbuilt 'Duplicate Files' display was showing files as above - with some genuine duplicates in pairs but with identical filenames and paths, but most of them shown as single files. I spent last night going through them and deleted at least a couple of hundred JPEGs.

Today I switched to the same 'Duplicate Files' display... and all remaining duplicates - 138 files - are presented exactly as I would expect them to display - duplicates ordered adjacent to each other, all with the correct filenames and their actual paths!

I can't see any reason for the difference, and thanks for the suggestion Hert, but no, there have been no changes to my hard drives. Could there be a threshold above which the display gets jumbled (the number of duplicates is the only difference between today and yesterday)? Other than that, I can see no explanation - but great to have everything 'back to normal' today :)