Label details Parent Assign/Processing ?

G8DHE

Label details Parent Assign/Processing ?

Post by G8DHE » 11 Nov 19 12:16

So how do these differ in operation ?

"Also assign parent" takes affect when the label is added/changed but not for existing labels,
"Process parent mapping" immediately changes all existing labels,
Are there any other differences either in action or timing ?

There has been previous discussions, but I couldn't find any definitive description ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Re: Label details Parent Assign/Processing ?

Post by Hert » 11 Nov 19 16:30

Screen widgets are explain in the Tips system (start it from the ? help button in the left sidebar).
Does that explanation help?
ParentMappings.jpg
ParentMappings.jpg (129.34 KiB) Viewed 733 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 11 Nov 19 19:58

Thanks Hert, sort of,
it was more the aspect that when you use "Also assign its parents" then only newly labelled items are affected,
whilst when you use "Process parent mapping" it then automatically re-sync's every labelled item without any warning! I wasn't quite expecting to have 200K images re-synched which takes a bit of time ;-)
So before I use it again I have been trying to make sure there were no other aspects, also what happens if its turned off ? I noticed that I seem to loose all the "also assign parents" leaving just the lowest level label still allocated which I wasn't expecting.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 11 Nov 19 21:18

By default, parents are automatically written to the metadata as Lr:hierarchicalSubject. Typically you don’t needs “assign parents”. But needs vary and stock photographers could very well use that to increase their find chances on stock sites. .
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system