panasonic makers notes warning from ExifTool

godspeedphoto

panasonic makers notes warning from ExifTool

Post by godspeedphoto » 07 Nov 19 15:38

i have been trialing Photo Supreme, and just happened upon some strange behavior.

I shoot with a Panasonic G9, and i use ACDSee (for now) to ingest images from camera. running exiftool on a jpg at this point shows no errors. If i copy that jpg to my PSu test folder, and choose "Scan for missing files", it picks up the jpg file. running exiftool on that jpg still shows no errors. When i assign a keyword to that jpg, and then check exiftool (vr 11.75) i get this error at the top "[minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -213?)". browsing through the metadata, i see that some of my Panasonic maker notes tags are different than their originals, things like Lens serial number, Lens model, etc.

I also just tried pulling rw2+jpgs straight from camera into PSu, with the only options in the import wizard of applying versioning, and the same behavior occurs. when i ingested the photos into PSu, there were no maker's notes warnings in exiftool. Only when i apply keywords, and PSu saves the metadata back to the file, do i get the "Incorrect maker's notes" warnings.

let me know if you need any additional information.

-Joe

Hert

Re: panasonic makers notes corrupted?

Post by Hert » 07 Nov 19 16:48

PSU doesn't rewrite Maker Notes, ever (since they are vendor proprietary, undocumented and non-standardized). PSU writes all the maker notes as-is back to the file. Some data in the Maker Notes from Panasonic use reference addresses that can point outside of the maker notes block. And that's probably why ExifTool gives this (minor) warning.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

godspeedphoto

Re: panasonic makers notes warning from ExifTool

Post by godspeedphoto » 08 Nov 19 0:04

Hi Hert,

i understand that the actual data is not altered, but the reference pointers are affected. Unfortunately, when i do the exact same procedures in other software (ACDSee and iMatch), my maker's notes section (Panasonic's in this case) are unaffected. Is there perhaps a bug on PSu's end when it writes back the metadata blocks?

Hert

Re: panasonic makers notes warning from ExifTool

Post by Hert » 08 Nov 19 6:11

This is not a bug. You should ask the ExifTool developer why ExifTool raises that minor warning. IMO the warning is obsolete.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system