Getting me on the right track

Connor

Getting me on the right track

Post by Connor » 05 Nov 19 7:23

Dear,

Since our personal foto collection is growing larger and larger, I wanted to get to use a DAM in order to find pictures again.

After evaluating several different possibilities, I guess that PSu is the right one for me.
However, there are still some questions where I might need some guidance.

1. Which version to choose?

My setup is two PCs and a remote PC at the attic. I will be using one of the two for around 80% of the time, when doing foto development or manipulation. The remote PC is always running and I would have loved to have PSu running on this one in order to have synced fotos automatically added to the catalogue. Is there any way to achieve this - or comparable - with the standard version (and can I install this one on multiple machines as long as I am only using one at a time)?

2. AI

I have setup a Google API access as described. Since English is not my native language, I would love to have the keywords in my language. I thought simply setting the language in PSu to my language and adding the Translation API (which version is the riht one MachineML or Neuro) would help. So far, it doesn't - the results are still in English only. What can I do?
Furthermore, when recognizing faces for multiple pictures, where can I find some kind of working pile to name those faces?

3. "Rules"

Is there any way to apply a certain rule (i.g. rotate picture by 180 degrees if it is a heif picture) on picture import? During a foto course I acquired a seemingly special way to hold my phone when taking pictures, so that these seem to be turned the wrong way when seeing them in the catalogue.

Thank you for guiding me or just pointing me to relevant forum posts 😁.

Best regards,

Connor

Hert

Re: Getting me on the right track

Post by Hert » 05 Nov 19 16:07

A warm welcome to the forum.

My setup is two PCs and a remote PC at the attic. I will be using one of the two for around 80% of the time, when doing foto development or manipulation. The remote PC is always running and I would have loved to have PSu running on this one in order to have synced fotos automatically added to the catalogue. Is there any way to achieve this - or comparable - with the standard version (and can I install this one on multiple machines as long as I am only using one at a time)?
The Server Edition is intended to be used with a centralized catalog. The single user version uses SQLite as the database and that is not suitable for network use (meaning: not suitable to be used over a network, but of course you can manage images that are stored on a network).
2. AI

I have setup a Google API access as described. Since English is not my native language, I would love to have the keywords in my language. I thought simply setting the language in PSu to my language and adding the Translation API (which version is the riht one MachineML or Neuro) would help. So far, it doesn't - the results are still in English only. What can I do?
Furthermore, when recognizing faces for multiple pictures, where can I find some kind of working pile to name those faces?
Photo Supreme uses the configured language to show AI labels in the configured language after showing the results from Google Vision in the Label Assignment Panel. Already existing labels in the "AI Labels" category remain untouched.
3. "Rules"

Is there any way to apply a certain rule (i.g. rotate picture by 180 degrees if it is a heif picture) on picture import? During a foto course I acquired a seemingly special way to hold my phone when taking pictures, so that these seem to be turned the wrong way when seeing them in the catalogue.
You could add a batch to your Import profile that does the rotate. First create the Batch and then select in in the advanced settings of an import profile.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Connor

Post by Connor » 05 Nov 19 20:30

Hert wrote:
05 Nov 19 16:07
A warm welcome to the forum.
Thank you very much - After reading along, I appreciate the spirit in here.
The Server Edition is intended to be used with a centralized catalog. The single user version uses SQLite as the database and that is not suitable for network use (meaning: not suitable to be used over a network, but of course you can manage images that are stored on a network).
This is what I understood. Would it be allowed to have three single user versions installed on three machines when using only one at a time? Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but I did not really see the answer on the website.
And as a direct question - what would you recommend?
2. AI
Photo Supreme uses the configured language to show AI labels in the configured language after showing the results from Google Vision in the Label Assignment Panel. Already existing labels in the "AI Labels" category remain untouched.
Sorry, but this is not that clear to me. I have set "German" in the

- regional settings and
- API settings

However, when doing a test with a building, I am offered "building" and "window" as result, while it should be "Gebäude" and "Fenster". So I seem to be missing something - but what?
3. "Rules"
You could add a batch to your Import profile that does the rotate. First create the Batch and then select in in the advanced settings of an import profile.
Thank you for your feedback. I will do so - by the way: is it usual that I cannot see my .heic files under Windows?

Best regards,

Connor

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Nov 19 7:48

Hi Connor,
Would it be allowed to have three single user versions installed on three machines when using only one at a time?
Yes it is.
And as a direct question - what would you recommend?
The golden rule is: if you need two people to use the software concurrently then for sure go for the Server Edition. If you're the only user then you could use the Server Edition with one license for ease, or find a way to mirror the database from computer to computer. While you can store the database on a network share, using Photo Supreme with a network stored database is highly discouraged. The database file is updated constantly and a smallest network hickup will corrupt your database. On top of that it will be very slow when compared to running the database on your local machine. Of course this is not the case with the Server Edition. That uses a network database system, well equipped to be used over a network.
However, when doing a test with a building, I am offered "building" and "window" as result, while it should be "Gebäude" and "Fenster". So I seem to be missing something - but what?
I've just tried it here, but it's working fine.
AI_German_1.png
AI_German_1.png (817.01 KiB) Viewed 724 times
AI_German_2.png
AI_German_2.png (827.09 KiB) Viewed 724 times
it usual that I cannot see my .heic files under Windows?
I deliberately picked a HEIC file in the screenshot above. As you can see that works. Make sure that you install the Windows HEIF extension. Find it in the Microsoft Store. Also search online for HEIC on Windows.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

bimo

Post by bimo » 06 Nov 19 14:25

@ Hert:

Connior is right; on September, 25th I opened a ticket as follows in Mantis:

"When using "AI Recogonize Objects" the result is correctly translated (to German) in the image's area, but added in English as a catalog label." https://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=3371

Here is an example what it looks like:
labels English.jpg
labels English.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Michael

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Nov 19 22:19

@michael; if you switch language then also delete the AI Labelscategory. It will be recreated as needed using the language then active.

bimo

Post by bimo » 07 Nov 19 15:12

@hert: switch language? Do you mean in preferences/general prefs/regional prefs?? I'm not aware that I had ever changed that value! But I deleted the AI labels category and gave AI another trial. And surprisingly the labels are in German as well - bit mysterious and magic... But I'm glad it works now! Thx for the advice, Hert.
Michael

Connor

Post by Connor » 07 Nov 19 22:40

Hi Hert,
The golden rule is: if you need two people to use the software concurrently then for sure go for the Server Edition. If you're the only user then you could use the Server Edition with one license for ease, or find a way to mirror the database from computer to computer. While you can store the database on a network share, using Photo Supreme with a network stored database is highly discouraged. The database file is updated constantly and a smallest network hickup will corrupt your database. On top of that it will be very slow when compared to running the database on your local machine. Of course this is not the case with the Server Edition. That uses a network database system, well equipped to be used over a network.
Thank you - I'll build my scenario. Currently, I am rather seeing the SQL version to be more workable for me. When doing the imports, I ran into a lot of access violation errors - should I be concerned about that? After the initial import, I compacted the database and tried to reads missing folders and files. Since then, it is working quite smoothly.
So I seem to be missing something - but what?
I realised that I took the wrong button :oops: . By using "Finding Catalogue Label" it is working... What I did was to right click on an image and use the AI - Find Objects. Is there any way to have the recognised objects and/ or places translated?
I deliberately picked a HEIC file in the screenshot above. As you can see that works. Make sure that you install the Windows HEIF extension. Find it in the Microsoft Store. Also search online for HEIC on Windows.
Got it...
Thank you.