redate fotos on network share

cyberal

redate fotos on network share

Post by cyberal » 28 Oct 19 12:05

Hello,

I am new to PSU and maybe I just don't get it right...

I store all my photos on the NAS which I mount on my Mac using SMB.
I also imported all photos into PSU using "Import to Catalog".

Every time I change something in the metadata, e.g. catalog-labels, the created date and last modified date of the file itself is changed to "now".
When I try to redate in PSU using the option to change only the file data to "metadata date" nothing happens to the file, also not using a manual entered date.

If I try the same on a file located on my physical hard disk it works as expected.

Any help is highly appreciated,
Alex

Hert

Re: redate fotos on network share

Post by Hert » 28 Oct 19 14:18

Hi Alex,
A warm welcome to the forum.

Photo Supreme aks the Operating System to change the stamps of the files. How the OS handles that is outside of PSU's control. I think your issue may have to do with file system rights on the network volume (not sure though). Did you check the details of the file with Cmd+I?

Apart from that, I would like to point out that using the file system stamp as a metadata item is not recommended practice. The date/time of the file system (there are 3 of them: created, modified, and accessed) is intended to represent the time stamp of the *file* and with every modification of the file, the Operating System *will* (and should) update the file modified stamp...for the simple reason that that is when the file was in fact last changed.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Oct 19 17:08

I just tried this here and using re-date to change the file stamp on a network volume works fine.
macOS is Catalina and the share is a SMB share
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Oct 19 17:18

One more thing I thought about: is your share mounted as a volume? Check in Folders and check if the Volume has red or gray folder icons.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 29 Oct 19 8:00

Thanks for the help and the warm welcome.

Indeed I made a mistake. The share was mounted using webdav. Now when I mount it via SMB the re-date works :D

I understand that the modified date needs to be updated every time a file has changed.
But what I don't understand is why the created date is modified. IMHO this should only be written once - when the file is created and then remain untouched.

The folder is shown as grey, so everything fine.

There is one more thing. When I re-date (changing only the file date, not the metadata) the thumbnails get the red dot indicating that they need to be synched (even if I synched them immediately before the re-date).
I need to re-read the metadata from the files then to have them in-sync again.