Using PSU while traveling

Secondclaw

Using PSU while traveling

Post by Secondclaw » 28 Oct 19 0:49

Hi, I have been evaluating PSU Server edition (PostgreSQL) for a few weeks now to see if it will work as my DAM, and for the most part it seems to work fairly well. What puzzles me is how would I be able to run PSU in 'standalone' mode while traveling and having no access to the master database. I don't really want anything from that database, but I want to be able to load new photos that i'm taking and start organizing them. And when I get home, push them to the server. It's kind of how Lightroom works - while on the road I can create a new catalog, work and organize the photos in it, and when I get home merge that catalog with the master.

Is this even possible? One way I though of doing this was to create a local instance of a PostgreSQL server and connect to it. But I would assume that a full database service would be more resource intensive and can kill battery life (or just be really slow) on a laptop. Also, it seems that in order for me to create a new local database I have to first connect to the master db (to log in) before I am even given a chance to create another one. If I have to do it in the field, how would I go about creating a local db catalog?

Or is the only way to effectively run PSU on the road is to also purchase a standalone license?

Thanks!

Hert

Re: Using PSU while traveling

Post by Hert » 28 Oct 19 8:18

A warm welcome to the forum.

You have two options;
1. indeed get a stand alone license and use that on the road. Then back home/office, sync the images in the local database and import them in the server edition. Personally I wouldn't go that road and use option 2.

2. Install Postgresql on your laptop. On startup you can create a new catalog. Use this script to mirror your Catalog Structure (which I assume you'd like to use on the road):
https://repository.idimager.com/openres ... BA39394939
If you always want to start with a fresh catalog on the road then you can overwrite your existing catalog by holding down Ctrl+Win+Alt while starting PSU (on mac that is Ctrl+Cmd+Opt).

Your laptop battery won't be affected that much by running a POstgresql instance.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Secondclaw

Re: Using PSU while traveling

Post by Secondclaw » 28 Oct 19 19:51

Option 2 works, thanks!

How would I take that catalog and merge it with the main one when I get home? On the road I keep actual images I will be working with on a backup USB drive. When I get home I would transfer them to the NAS server, and would like to merge the laptop's local catalog with main one. What would be the best way to do that?