on1 and photosupreme

wphx

on1 and photosupreme

Post by wphx » 20 Oct 19 22:06

I'm starting to use ON1 for my editing. Can anyone give information on the compatibility of on1 to photo supreme? I understand that on1 would not see PS recipe information, and all on1 edits would be stored in the .on1 sidecar files (is that correct?) What is the compatibility with keywords (hierarchical) and other metadata? if I edited keywords inon1, and verified in PS would the keywords/ratings etc. be recognised?

Thankyou if you can help.

wphx

Re: on1 and photosupreme

Post by wphx » 21 Oct 19 0:39

Here are a few things I'm discovering:
From On1 -> PS
Keywords: need to have Read Hierarchical keywords on in PS - otherwise each in the hierarchy tree get imported as separate keywords. (there may a something a bit screwy going on with the reading of hierarchical keywords into PS - in a hierarchy tree of maybe 5 levels, one of the higher level gets imported also as a keyword - I have to experiment more) colours & ratings On1->PS work (I embed the data from On1 and read metadata in PS)

colours changed in PS - transfer to On1 (I have folder listed as a catalogue folder) without have to re-read the metadata in on1
ratings don't seem to transfer from PS to On1

haven't looked at wider metadata - will keep experimenting. As I hope to use On1 more I would like to be able to import with confidence metadata changes into PS & vice-versa

Hert

Re: on1 and photosupreme

Post by Hert » 21 Oct 19 7:02

Of course you must have hierarchical keywords switched on to read hierarchies. That’s how hierarchies are stored in metadata :). A bit surprised that you didn’t have that switched on, as it is by default Best to reset your sync settings to the default. Don’t change these settings unless you know what the change will do.

Back to On1. This is an editor, intended and designed to do (RAW) pixel editing. PSU is a metadata tool, designed to keep your metadata on par. Metadata editing is complex and goes over 3 levels: Exif, IPTC and XMP. A pixel editor may offer some metadata editing features but almost never will have the complexity to keep metadata consistent. Psu writes all metadata according to metadata standards and every 3rd party tool that follows the standards must be able to read them. If on1 can’t read it and you’ve checked that it exists in metadata then report that to on1.
Use on1 for what it is intended to do: editing images.
Also read the Cataloging manual. Use as little possible tools for metadata editing.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system