Best practice - mixed macOS and Windows

Username

Best practice - mixed macOS and Windows

Post by Username » 29 Sep 19 2:33

What would the best practice be when running PSu server version in mixed environments when it comes to server paths for the stored images?

We want to be able to mount the share without path mapping problem no matter on which OS we mount it.

The share is a smb off an Mac mini.
Clients are several macOS and windows 10 clients.
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 10 on macOS 10.14
- I'm the user

Hert

Re: Best practice - mixed macOS and Windows

Post by Hert » 30 Sep 19 8:51

PSU can be used on Windows and macOS and was designed to be used on one of these platforms.
While PSU does accept connections from mixed clients, it is recommended that Catalog Managers all use the same platform.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

thenetstriker

Post by thenetstriker » 16 Nov 19 13:39

Hi Hert, I'm having the same problem. I also use Photosupreme on Mac and Windows. The only workarround I found is to create a complete copy of the database and change the paths there. This way I have at least a readonly version of the database on my mac.

Is there a reason why you don't want to support this? As far as I can tell the only thing that we would need for this to work is a setting (or maybe a script function) to map the file path on a mac. Or maybe it would be even easier. The application could e.g. just change the file path from \\server\share to the unix format smb://server/share, but I didn't test this yet.

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Nov 19 11:39

You don't need a second database to have read-only access. A catalog that was created on Windows client can be opened on a macOS client and you'll still have all database features available. But because PSU won't be able to find Windows file references on a macOS client, the files will be marked as "offline".
PSU is not designed to be used in a mixed environment. Use only Windows or only macOS clients on the clients where direct file access is needed.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system