Version selection for selected items ?

G8DHE

Version selection for selected items ?

Post by G8DHE » 09 Jul 19 12:06

Is there a filter or mechanism for selecting a particular version in a selected group ?
For instance when selecting images for display I often use the image basket, however when I view the image basket the Main version is always selected when I actually want the "processed version" and yet I don't seem able to locate a mechanism to select all "processed versions" in a simple click, having just been thru and had to manually click on the version tab 128 times it would be nice to find that there is a shortcut or filter to select a given version - there is a filter for Main version but not for other choices.
Am I missing a trick or should I add a feature request ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Mke

Re: Version selection for selected items ?

Post by Mke » 09 Jul 19 17:49

I keep RAW files and other originals in subdirectories, separate from processed JPGs & TIFFs in the main directory, so am able to then select from only a specific folder (or all), and also find it useful for processing:

|
|-directory
||_RAW
||_DNG
||_etc.
|

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 09 Jul 19 19:00

I do almost the same. The difference being that I also shoot JPG simultaneously to RAW, in case I need a quick usable shot before processing. So I have:

|
|-directory
||_RAW + in camera JPG
||_DNG
||_jpg
|

It has the advantage for me in that I can use the main folder to view both RAW and 'in camera JPG' or with a quick filter just select one or the other. I then select the RAW and send them for processing or the JPGs for immediate use of a larger lupe.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 09 Jul 19 21:42

Yes, I do likewise, but it doesn't help once the images are placed in the Image Basket, as then the image selected for display on the version tags is always the Main version :-(
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 09 Jul 19 21:59

I think that the original question, however, has to do with versions and how they get handled in the image basket (or portfolio collections). If I recall correctly, whenever you put images into the image basket, if they are in a version set, the "main" version will be the one that is displayed. Perhaps that doesn't happen if your versions are stored in different folders? I'd be interested in knowing if that is the case.

You can always select other versions after you've added a set to the image basket and the image basket will remember your selections but it's a hassle if you have a lot of images because you have to do it one at a time. For that reason, I have gotten into the habit of making my jpeg's the main version by default during version detection. It's counter-intuitive to me to have a derivative copy as a "main" version, but PSU has forced me to do that. Perhaps there are ways around it and I'm not understanding the ramifications of Stephen and Mke's suggestions but if I'm correct, those suggestions don't address the issue that the OP is having.

The topic of version sets and how they work has been discussed pretty thoroughly in past posts, although not for a while. There have been many suggestions for ways to change or add functionality to versioning but it hasn't really changed in quite a while. It's one of those things that forces you to change your workflow, which is unfortunate.
Tom Stoddard

Mke

Post by Mke » 10 Jul 19 1:37

tstoddard wrote:
09 Jul 19 21:59
I have gotten into the habit of making my jpeg's the main version by default during version detection
Indeed, I should have added that was what I do, in conjunction with the folder arrangement above. In the absence of more functional placeholders within version sets, I find it a good workaround.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 11 Jul 19 10:41

OK so its not me missing a function. I'll put some words together for Mantis and ask Hertz to consider it for a future release!
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Mke

Post by Mke » 11 Jul 19 23:27

No, it's not you, but take a look through Mantis first - there are already several related proposals on the topic, such as these:
https://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2525
https://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2633
https://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2964

And some lengthy discussions on here, for example
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24372
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23869

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 12 Jul 19 10:52

Tks Mke, had read the forum discussions but not searched Mantis, quite a few interesting points from the 2014 discussions!
Not sure any directly relate to being able to easily change the displayed default of Main, which makes sense in the starting situation but then makes it a very long winded process to select the desired version later :-(
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Mke

Post by Mke » 12 Jul 19 22:21

You're right, you can't use the placeholders to change the versions being displayed on the fly. However you can easily set the main version as you wish in the configuration, and at least Tom and I have our processed files set as the Main Version, and separate other versions using a hierarchical folder structure - that way, unless you're in a sub-folder, you normally see just the processed version, including when in the image basket.

You can call that a work-around - it's certainly a useful tip for new users - but it very quickly became 'normal' and works for me (and, it seems, for Tom). And if you want to view only print versions, or only web versions, or whatever, you can do that too, provided you store them in separate directory folders as described above. Another slower option would be to use a particular version placeholder as part of a dynamic search.

That's probably why the bigger issues in Mantis tend to focus on other aspects where there are no easy work-arounds; different star ratings for different version of a version set; what metadata should be cascaded to particular versions, etc. Though I'm pretty sure there are other related Mantis tickets too, not just those I mentioned above - just don't recall all the discussions.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 17 Jul 19 18:25

tstoddard wrote:
09 Jul 19 21:59
Perhaps there are ways around it and I'm not understanding the ramifications of Stephen and Mke's suggestions but if I'm correct, those suggestions don't address the issue that the OP is having.
I cannot comment because I don’t use version sets.

My simultaneously shot RAW and camera JPGs are placed in the same folder on import, as a JPG gives a better resemblance of what the RAW might look like when processed.

After processing, I then export as a jpg (lower case) into a subfolder. Mac appears to be case-sensitive, so allows JPG and jpg. When clicking on the total number of files of the folder, all files are visible in PSu, from which you can filter to show which extension you wish to see. Unfortunately PSu cannot differentiate between JPG and jpg. However, the OPs need, which I share, is solved by clicking only on the subfolder where the processed files are located.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 18 Jul 19 11:00

Right a simple request for a new Feature has been submitted https://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=3362
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)