misusing synonyms

Stephen

misusing synonyms

Post by Stephen » 30 Jun 19 9:15

I have been misusing synonyms for some time but wanted to know whether there is a better way, which some readers with more sophisticated keywording demand might use.

I frequently add 'related labels' as synonyms. The term synonym not being accurate in my case, but I just want the other term to also be added as a keyword.

For instance when I use the keyword Paris, it is not only located in the hierarchy of France and Europe which are automatically added as labels, but I also want to add 'city of lights', which currently I have as a synonym.

Is this the best way? Thanks.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Hert

Re: misusing synonyms

Post by Hert » 01 Jul 19 6:25

"City of Lights" *is* a synonym for Paris. But regardless, you can add any string as a synonym, but if then make sure that the Sync setting to write Synonyms as keywords is switched off (default is also off)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 01 Jul 19 10:17

Yes, I realised just after posting that my example was incorrect because "City of Lights" IS a synonym.

I should have given another example. When I select banana I also get tropical fruit and fruit as they are in my hierarchy. I would like to add yellow as a 'synonym', as that is not in the hierarchy. So each time I select banana, I also get yellow. Incidentally, I do want the 'synonyms' saved as keywords, so I have the box checked.

I was wondering though whether this is the best place to add a group of relevant keywords or whether a 'label set' or a 'detailed profile' is a better place to do that? I have so far not used label sets and only use a detailed profile during import.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 19 13:28

You can also:

1. Create a custom field to hold your additional search strings; you could call it "search fields"
2. In the catalog label for Paris, enable metadata details
3. In the label's metadata details, enter a value for your custom field (what you now enter as synonym)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 03 Jul 19 17:17

What you're trying to do sounds similar to this feature requested in Mantis, I think?

Add a new label setting: "Also assign the related labels" - https://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2603#c6028

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 04 Jul 19 18:10

Indeed, that is it. Thanks for finding that Mantis posting.

Using the synonym field works but has limitations in my workspace. I use Capture One C1 for editing, which we know does not speak the same language as PSu when talking about labels. I don't know the insides of PSu, nor to I need to, but when images come back from C1 the synonyms are all bundled in the miscellaneous category. I have a workaround, but it's an extra step. Vlad's idea (described in the Mantis thread) of having a related label might solve the workaround. It would be a great timesaver for me.

Additionally, synonyms don't always show in the Assign view, so it means switching to the Details view for verification.