can't connect to database after Windows Update

andrew.heard

can't connect to database after Windows Update

Post by andrew.heard » 06 Jun 19 9:05

When I attempt to run Photo Supreme I get an error messagebox saying

"Unable to connect to the database. The database reports: An error occurred while applying the updates in a record: unable to open database file."

About two weeks ago it seems something bad happened. I updated from Windows 10 1803 to 1903 although I'm not convinced that's the problem. Maybe some other subsequent Windows Update. I really can't explain it. It seems to be some security issue. idimager.cat.db & idimager.thumbs.db still exist. I can ctrl+C/ ctrl+V to create a copy. I tried running PSu as administrator - "C:\Program Files\IDimager Products\Photo Supreme x64\IDimagerSU.exe" but same msgbox. IDimagerSU.exe is 64-bit 4.3.3.2004 but it was fine the last time I ran it ~2 weeks ago.

Seems the next step is to uninstall/ reinstall PSu. What settings would I loose? Unfortunately I haven't done a full backup for ages.

Any help much appreciated.

Hert

Re: can't connect to database after Windows Update

Post by Hert » 06 Jun 19 10:33

First check with an SQLite tool if you can open the database. There’s a free version of SQLite Expert Personal that you can use for that.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 06 Jun 19 12:35

Thanks Hert. I can open both idimager.cat.db & idimager.thumbs.db using SQLiteExpertPers64.exe OK.

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Jun 19 14:52

So your database appears to be fine. Did you exclude the database files or your Catalog folder from an installed anti-virus software (that includes Windows Defender)?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-excl ... irus-scans
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 07 Jun 19 0:34

Thanks Hert. I hadn't excluded those two database files in the past. I am just using standard Windows Defender. I have now excluded them but it made no difference.

Hert

Post by Hert » 07 Jun 19 3:31

Also in SQLite Expert. After opening the database, run the Vacuum command on the database. It’s a button on the database page.

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 07 Jun 19 9:39

Worryingly the vacuum failed for both files. For the thumbs DB there was heavy disk IO for ~5 minutes then msgbox “unable to open database file SQL Statement: VACUUM”. For the CAT DB it only took a minute to come to the same msgbox. FWIW I've attached both bug reports although I couldn't see any further of relevance. It almost seems both files have been randomly corrupted although I've been quite slack & haven't actually used PSu to do any cataloging for many months. The only thing I've done recently from the File panel is create a new "06" subfolder for June.

I then moved both files so PSu wouldn't find them, and now at least the standard PSu login dialog is displayed. I'll get a backup of the two files from a month ago, which shouldn't have changed since then, and see what happens & report back. Thanks for your support Hert.
Attachments
bugreport idimager.thumbs.db.txt
(20.09 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
bugreport idimager.cat.db.txt
(20.09 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 07 Jun 19 17:29

If the vacuum command fails then the database is corrupt.
If you tend to keep everything in-sync then you could restore your month year old backup, switch on ICS reading in Preferences, and do a Verify Folder to get the changes. Once all is back, disable ICS reading again.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 07 Jun 19 19:06

Is there a reason (time/duplication ?) for ICS Reading not to be on by default, I have it being written (as well as hierarchical) and had assumed without checking that it would also be read and now having seen the above see that it it is an option ? I frequently do a lot of labelling when out on a job in the evenings on the laptop and then copy the files over to the main machine on return and use Verify to read the metadata back in would there be an advantage (reduced write time as ICS write is on?) to read the ICS scheme as well from files loaded this way ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 07 Jun 19 19:25

If you do labeling on your laptop then you don’t need to enable ICS because hierarchical labels are also part of the standard metadata. This unlike versions, portfolios, area labels. Those are also in ICS.

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 09 Jun 19 2:35

Hert - I got the 2 PSu database files from a 2 month old backup. These also gave the same startup error message. This made me very suspicious the error has nothing to do with file corruption. So I installed PSu on another Windows 10 PC, copied over the 2 database files, and it starts up fine & displays the cached images. So what else would make a SQLlite VACUUM fail?? Makes me think my PC is very unhealthy & may be time for a rebuild unless you can think of something else to try.

Hert

Post by Hert » 09 Jun 19 10:13

SQLlite VACUUM fail
Insufficient disk space. SQLite needs to recreate the database file in order to do the Vacuum. That means that at least the size of the database file needs to be available as free space.

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 10 Jun 19 0:05

50% (500GB) disk free. Am currently planning a full rebuild; 3 years since new. Needs a haircut & good wash.

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 16 Jun 19 8:34

Rebuilt the PC but can't download the latest PSu. It's always dropping out after ~10..20MB. It's not a timeout issue, the download speed is pretty normal/ responsive. Anyone else experiencing this? I've had to download heaps of other unrelated files/ programs including one 1.3GB for the rebuild, but no other problems; it seems site specific to https://cp.idimager.com.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 16 Jun 19 11:50

Trial version downloaded normal speed here no problem just a few seconds ago.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)