Custom thumbnail view problems

borgerth

Custom thumbnail view problems

Post by borgerth » 14 Apr 19 16:16

First, I’m a Psu total beginner, still on the trial period and struggling with my “Custom Thumbnail” set up. I’m coming from MediaPro and wish to display some MPro custom fields on a custom thumbnail view.
The problems I’m facing:
First, I can’t figure out how to display the various custom fields’ entries separately on different lines.
The following XMP entry - %xmp:expressionmedia:UserFields{encode=html} - returns all values together as single line separated only by a coma (Field Name 1=value1,Field Name 2=value2, etc.).
Screen shot
Screen shot
SShot.jpg (75.94 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Please check the attached image to see what the problem is. And there is actually more information which cannot even be partially seen here as it is totally hidden from view
Although I would rather prefer have each different original custom information on a separately line, I could accept this if I could actually see the data. Because they are all bunched together as a single and long line, it becomes too long and doesn’t fit the space allocated by the default layout of the page. Reducing the font size and enlarging the custom thumbnail “zoom” doesn’t work either as the only thing you achieve is to enlarge the thumbnail together with the cropped text underneath it.
I believe (I hope) it is possible to have the original custom field values displayed on different lines and what is stopping me sorting this out is my limited knowledge of XML coding.
Can I have my custom field values displayed on different lines? And is it possible to customize the layout of the page itself by changing the size of the rows and columns? By page I mean the area where the thumbnails and the information are displayed.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks

Hert

Re: Custom thumbnail view problems

Post by Hert » 14 Apr 19 19:56

MediaPro writes some proprietary metadata fields, meaning metadata fields that don't follow metadata standards.

First thing you should do is to rid of those; PSU offers some scripts that allow you to break out of such proprietary information by converting such fields to standard metadata. Did you already follow those?
https://www.idimager.com/mediapro-to-photo-supreme
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

borgerth

Post by borgerth » 15 Apr 19 20:26

Hi Hert, thanks for your post
Yes, I had already done that. I've managed to adapt the "catalog sets to portfolio" script to create portfolios from my MediaPro custom data and create/assign the info using PSu custom fields.
Still, this is sort of fine for a couple of hundred images but a lot of work for several thousands. I was hoping someone would have/be able to suggest a solution in which I could import the MediaPro custom information into PSu custom fields directly.
In any case, the the issue regarding the customization of the page layout (rows and columns) remains. There are several scenarios in which the default space allocated for the information is simply too small for the text. If I want a custom thumb view showing the image description, or full street address, or full path the problem will be the same. I thought I would be able to set the number of lines the for the text display as well as the thumbnail size.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 15 Apr 19 21:17

borgerth wrote:
15 Apr 19 20:26
I thought I would be able to set the number of lines the for the text display as well as the thumbnail size.
You can define more than one line. Every line in the dialog produces a line of info under each thumb. When you add a specification to the blank bottom line of the dialog a further blank appears.
Attachments
Clip.png
Clip.png (42.12 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Apr 19 8:34

Here's a sample to split one field over multiple lines

Custom line 1:
%xmp:Iptc4xmpExt:PersonInImage{encode=html;mid=1, 35}

Custom line 2:
%xmp:Iptc4xmpExt:PersonInImage{encode=html;mid=36, 70}

Custom line 3:
%xmp:Iptc4xmpExt:PersonInImage{encode=html;mid=71,106}
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

borgerth

Post by borgerth » 16 Apr 19 13:39

Thanks jstartin, I'm aware of that. My problem is how to have the info from the same field displayed across more than one line.
And thanks Hert, but now I have 2 problems:
- First, I can't add another line. Adding a line is no longer available via the triangle popup menu, only "remove line".
Screen_PSupreme_04.jpg
Screen_PSupreme_04.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 731 times
- And since this code seems to define the number of characters on each line, words are cut in the middle making it awkward to read.
I can't exactly show it here since I cannot add the extra line I need, but the Location should display ...Hither Green and house in....
Screen_PSupreme_05.jpg
Screen_PSupreme_05.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 731 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Apr 19 7:25

You can configure max 5 lines for custom thumbnail text.
As an alternative you can use the Info Panel to define custom fields to see more info about the selected image;
https://youtu.be/H4TpHOcD4vU

Mke

Post by Mke » 17 Apr 19 12:48

I think that most of us would only attempt to show brief summary information below each thumbnail; mine has some overlap with yours but is much more concise:
Thumb.cat.png
Thumb.cat.png (6.02 KiB) Viewed 676 times
For more information you can hit CTRL+I / CTRL+D / CTRL+G (Windows notation) to display more.

borgerth

Post by borgerth » 17 Apr 19 13:26

Mike
Yes, that's broadly correct, but there are situations when you need to see more information about various images, and all at the same time (please see my comments about Hert's repply bellow). I'm away from my studio at the moment and can't really properly see your attachment (replying from a very small screen ...) but I understand what you're saying.

Hert,
I’m aware of the info Panel which is very useful to add custom or see custom/predefined info of a single image. The “Film & ISO”, “Dev”, and “Time & Temp” fields on the image attachments above are all custom fields.
The custom thumbnail view have a different purpose (at least for me). This is where you see what info B (and C, D, E, etc.) is on one or several images which have a particular info A content.
Although I would rather have no limit at all regarding the line no., I can leave with 5 lines. I don't see this as a big problem.
The main thing still not resolved is how the text “flows” in the line itself. As mentioned previously, using the character no. as a way to spread the content of a given field across various lines breaks words in strange ways making it hard to read. I might be totally wrong so please correct me if I’m mistaken but the {encode=html;mid=36, 70} code you suggested looks like some kind of xml tag (or tag property). Wouldn’t be one which spread the text without breaking the words?
Also, is it possible to save various different custom Thumb views so they can be loaded later when needed? This is incredibly useful as you can recall various different recurrent custom views specifically optimized for different types of tasks.

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Apr 19 15:42

There's no macro command parameter that splits at words.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 17 Apr 19 21:32

The main thing still not resolved is how the text “flows” in the line itself.
I agree, this can be unfortunate. Still, adding options for more lines would not resolve this.
There's no macro command parameter that splits at words.
Not sure I understand. Having the text of a single field flow over into the next line is a display issue and not necessarily one that can be resolved by a macro.

For example, my first custom thumb info line is this one, it simply displays the content of the "xmp:photoshop:Headline" field:

Code: Select all

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="20"><i>%xmp:photoshop:Headline<></font>
Now, a particularly long headline, for example "My daughter playing in the yard with her grandmother", simply doesn't fit below the thumbnail and no macro command would help, would it?
Why would you need a macro to break down text. What would be necessary is a way that long entries automatically are displayed on several lines...

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Apr 19 7:24

Custom Thumb Lines are intended to show fragments of information together with the thumbnail.

A Custom Thumb Line is exactly that: "one line"; and there's 5 lines to define...not 5 text-blocks...not 5 text-fields, but 5 configurable individual text-lines.

borgerth

Post by borgerth » 18 Apr 19 12:41

Hert wrote:
18 Apr 19 7:24
A Custom Thumb Line is exactly that: "one line"; and there's 5 lines to define...not 5 text-blocks...not 5 text-fields, but 5 configurable individual text-lines.
I probably need a few “text blocks” instead of lines then. I honestly believe that (within reason …) the decision regarding how much information one sees together with the thumbnails should be left to the user and not to the software. This is what I was expecting as that is how all similar software I’ve used before worked: Bridge (actually a browser), Extensis Portfolio, Expression Media, MediaPro.
And another key feature for me would be to be able to save the various custom thumbnail views designed to help with specific tasks so I could load them later when needed. I have already asked this question here a few times and since I had no answer, my assumption is that this is not possible.
I believe the main issue here is a difference in our workflow and - consequently - a difference in what we want/expect from a DAM software.
I work as an artist, as a commercial photographer, and as a photography lecturer. In addition to keywording, organizing work by job, client, etc., etc., I also use my DAM application to help me think about images. I this is probably not the best place to discuss the conceptual aspects of image making, but the fact is that I need my DAM software (PSu in this case) to allow me doing what I do the way I do, and not the other way around. In this specific case, I need to see several images side by side and be able to compare & add the different lines of thought trigged by way in which they relate to each other.
As already mentioned previously, I’m still trying PSu. I haven’t decided yet, but at the moment I’m inclined to carry on using MediaPro since it will still be usable for some time, and come back later to see how PSu develops

Mke

Post by Mke » 18 Apr 19 15:15

borgerth wrote:
18 Apr 19 12:41
And another key feature for me would be to be able to save the various custom thumbnail views designed to help with specific tasks so I could load them later when needed... I need to see several images side by side and be able to compare & add the different lines of thought trigged by way in which they relate to each other.
If that's your aim, then maybe dynamic search might be useful? You can create and store / load multiple searches using the kinds of fields that you're interested in and mix & match them together or with other properties.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 19 Apr 19 1:39

A Custom Thumb Line is exactly that: "one line"
I probably need a few “text blocks” instead of lines then. I honestly believe that (within reason …) the decision regarding how much information one sees together with the thumbnails should be left to the user and not to the software.
Well, the emphasis here then lies on "within reason", right?
So, what is reasonable?

Obviously the software developer has a different opinion that you (us?) - some of users...

While one can always submit a Mantis request, Hert will likely ignore this if he is not convinced this is such a good idea. And ironically, to some extent, I actually agree that having an option to display entire blocks of text might not be ideal, but cluttering up valuable screen real estate...

So, perhaps showing this whole block of text as tool tip when hovering across the text fragment would be an option?
This is already implemented tor the file name. When you hover over the file name the whole path is displayed.
Personally I am not really sure that is such a great idea either. I often find pop-ups really quite annoying, but in moderation this might not be such a bad idea...
And another key feature for me would be to be able to save the various custom thumbnail views designed to help with specific tasks
Not sure I completely understand your request. Are you suggesting that you would like to "collect" different versions from the same images side by side with versions from other images? If I so, I am not sure Mke's suggestion will actually work...

In my opinion, portfolios should actually be designed designed for this task. But they are fairly limited insofar as they can ONLY ever display one single version of a version set, never different versions of the same set side-by-side :?

I am using versioning A LOT and have filed many, many Mantis requests to significantly improve how versions could be much more useful. Hardly anything has been implemented, probably because few people actually use versioning much. This is a bit of a vicious cycle. If few people use it, why improve it, if it is not improved, few people are likely to find it useful and continue to ignore it...

My biggest gripe with how versioning is currently implemented is its sheer inflexibility! In *my* ideal world one would be able to easily to filter any view for one or several versions of a the same version set, one would be able to switch back and forth between a collapsed and an expanded view of a version set. Also, the sequence on the version tabs (the sort order of how the files are grouped) would be sorted by how placeholders are arranged in preferences and not by date when the version was created (which is not only counter-intuitive, but actually quite a nuisance!).
I work as an artist, as a commercial photographer, and as a photography lecturer. In addition to keywording, organizing work by job, client, etc., etc., ...
keywording - PSu is much more powerful; instead of simple keywords you can configure keywords as labels mapped to metadata fields, geo-tagging, whole metadata templates can be assigned with simply adding one single keyword configured as a label [in my opinion this is by far PSU's most powerful feature far outperforming ANY other DAM on the market!]
organizing work by job, client, etc., etc. - easy peasy, use portfolios...
I also use my DAM application to help me think about images
Don't we all? Personally, I believe that is the biggest benefit of using any DAM. Thinking about organizing your photos and how to most efficiently tag them is a great way to think about imaging conceptually...
I this is probably not the best place to discuss the conceptual aspects of image making,...
Why not??? You can always start a new topic...
but the fact is that I need my DAM software (PSu in this case) to allow me doing what I do the way I do, and not the other way around. In this specific case, I need to see several images side by side and be able to compare & add the different lines of thought trigged by way in which they relate to each other.
Well, complaining is usually not very constructive. I learned this the hard way myself.

Coming from MediaPro you will need to understand that PhotoSupreme necessarily works differently. It is a different program, has a different philosophy. Attracts different users, puts others off. Nobody forces you to make the move. If MediaPro works better for you, keep it. Just an example: I have used Photoshop for years and recently decided to drop it for Affinity. Adobe's subscription model puts me off. But even though Affinity does essentially everything that Photoshop does (and some more!) I still am a slow learner and find may things in Affinity counter-intuitive that In Photoshop I can do almost with my eyes shut ...

For most tasks different programs simply use different approaches to achieve essentially the same. The Info Panel in PSu already has been pointed out. It displays all the info you need, not side-by-side, not underneath each thumb. But you click a thumb and it is there. Not ideal perhaps for you. But cluttering up the workspace by huge blocks of thumb info? I can at least see, why Hert believe this might not be a good idea... (and I actually would like a bit more text here myself ...).