1 gbps

rdv4rjm

1 gbps

Post by rdv4rjm » 05 Mar 19 8:10

I was asked today if PSU would actually work fluedly on a 1 gbps network, over a cat5e cable?
Lets word it otherwise.

On an ideal network system where server would be an HPE Dl-380, Switch an Aruba 5406r (idealy programmed by experimented IT) and storage a san Hpe MAS 2050 loaded with Ssd drives (no need to aim for better), WOULD CAT5E cable act as a bottle neck on such system? (Assuming its length is within 100 meters)

If so would user suffer noticable latency handling photos over PSU assuming computer performs at its best and Nic card is 1gbps?

Thanks.

Hert

Re: 1 gbps

Post by Hert » 05 Mar 19 9:09

CAT5E cables are able to support 1gbps speed, typically at a 100Mhz frequency (though faster versions of cat5e cables are available).
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Username

Post by Username » 05 Mar 19 20:33

I’m running PSu server from my workstation over gigabit Ethernet without problems.
It’s not like running it locally but that’s more due to preview size and me using two older Mac minis both as server and client.

If you will suffer any network related problems you will do that anyway - not due to running PSu over gigabit.

In the beginning I had no problem LAN-wise with my Gbit net but on the wan side I never reached gigabit even though I have gigabit connection to internet.
After replacing the (poor or damaged?) cat 5 cable between the router and wan side with a better cat 6 my router finally connected with gigabit speed.

So if you are on the edge of signal-noise ration you might notice problems. Otherwise you should be fine.
Last edited by Username on 10 Mar 19 9:29, edited 1 time in total.
- I'm the user

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Mar 19 9:11

Username wrote:
05 Mar 19 20:33
After replacing the (poor or damaged?) cat 5 cable between the router and wan side with a better cat 6 my router finally connected with gigabit speed.
I've had that a few times myself, even with A-brand cables. Some don't support 1gbps and so I recommend to always test your cables.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 10 Mar 19 8:02

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions and for sharing your experience.
It confirms my opinion which I will share with my staff.