Importing Photo Mechanic Structural Keywords

BCMielke

Importing Photo Mechanic Structural Keywords

Post by BCMielke » 03 Mar 19 23:01

I currently use PM to apply my keywords or have for a number of years. They are in a structural format separated by an |. I have recently started migrating some of my older files into Photo Supreme for better organization and searching. All of the keywords are converted to categories fine. However, I end up getting two separate keywords. As example upon import I will have the following categories.

1. Miscellaneous/People
2. MiscellaneousPeople

I can delete the second one since it's of no use to me, but it opens up the chance that I might delete something that I might not want to.

Is there any way that I can not have the second set of keywords?

Hert

Re: Importing Photo Mechanic Structural Keywords

Post by Hert » 04 Mar 19 12:24

If PM follows the standards then keywords are written to XMP as dc:subject and lr:hierarchicalSubject. The latter will be | delimited.
I
n PSU a Category is only the top level, so People, Objects, and Miscellaneous are samples of Categories. Everything inside a category is called a Catalog Label. Keywords are not converted to Categories. They will end up as Catalog Labels. Also read the manual about Cataloging from the Help menu.

If you get a top level MiscellaneousPeople Category (is it? maybe you could post a screenshot), then that means that somewhere in your lr:hierarchicalKeywords, there's a top level MiscellaneousPeople. Only then PSU will create that. Maybe you could post a sample file which leads to the creation for MiscellaneousPeople
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

BCMielke

Post by BCMielke » 04 Mar 19 17:40

Thanks for the reply. I will post a sample file when I get a chance.

The interesting thing is that when I import the files into both Capture One 12 and the latest Lightroom these keywords don't show up.

I will post a screen shot and upload a file later.

BCMielke

Post by BCMielke » 05 Mar 19 4:03

Here is the screen shot. I didn't originally see the |, but it appears that they are there. Interesting that it shows both here and under the actual structured keyword.
Attachments
7A6BA054-412A-4E55-A9DF-18FF1F8DA9E3.jpg
7A6BA054-412A-4E55-A9DF-18FF1F8DA9E3.jpg (615.49 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Mar 19 9:05

Looks like your images have flat keywords (dc:subject or even in IPTC-IIM) with the hierarchical annotation using the | delimiter. That was something that software products did before hierarchical keywords were standardized in the lr:hierarchicalSubject metadata field. I'd need a sample file though to be sure.

If my suspicion is correct then I highly recommend that you stop writing delimited flat keywords and migrate asap to the standardized hierarchical keyword annotation. For example; following the standards for a keyword with hierarchy People->Family->John Doe would:
1. Create dc:subject entry John Doe
2. Create lr:hierarchicalSubject People|Family|John Doe

I expect that you have People|Family|John Doe written in dc:subject which is why you get a catalog label like People|Family|John Doe generated from the dc:subject entry People|Family|John Doe

Migrating to the standardized method is simple in PSU. But before explaining how to do this I'd first need to know for sure that my thinking is in the right direction. Please provide a sample file for that. You could send it to support@idimager.com or link to a file in a reply here
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Mar 19 9:08

Thank you for providing a sample file.

In PSU you can right click on a thumb, then select Run Script from Repository -> Metadata -> Full Exif Dump
samplePM5.png
samplePM5.png (157.98 KiB) Viewed 208 times
As you can see there, my suspicions are correct. Your hierarchical keywords, which should be written to lr:hierarchicalSubject are also written to dc:subject. This is NOT according to the standards, and best that you inform the PM developers to stop using this bad practice. As explained in my previous post, this is how your keywords should be written to file:

1. dc:subject entry John Doe
2. lr:hierarchicalSubject People|Family|John Doe

Could it be that this is a setting in PM5? I sure hope so.

I understand where their feature comes from. In the past, there was no standard to write hierarchical keywords and back then many software, Photo Supreme included, offered the option to write delimited keywords. After the standards adopted the lr:hierarchicalSubject field for hierarchical keywords, PSU stop promoting this setting.

You have two options:
1. If possible, switch OFF delimited keyword writing in PM5. Then rewrite metadata in PM5 to your files so that they are corrected and written as the standards recommend.
2. Switch PSU to read/write delimited delimited keyword. I HIGHLY vote against this and do not want anyone to use that option setting. This setting is in Preferences->Sync Settings. Again, I do NOT recommend you to use this and in the first next major update this option will be removed because it doesn't follow standards. If you want to follow this path then with this setting you can import all your files, and once imported, switch off delimited keywords again and rewrite metadata for all your files so that dc:subject is fixed.

If PM5 offers the option to switch off this corrupted form of keyboard writing then I highly recommend that you go for option 1.