Caution when using script "Cascade Meta to Full Version Set for Photo Supreme"

bimo

Caution when using script "Cascade Meta to Full Version Set for Photo Supreme"

Post by bimo » 25 Feb 19 18:36

Today, for the first time ever, I ran the script "Cascade Meta to Full Version Set for Photo Supreme" on selected images in more than one folder.
Analysing the result was very frustating: each and every subversion's exif data had been replaced by the exif data of the FIRST SELECTED main version (instead by the metadata of the corresponding main version)!

At the time being, I have no clue what is so special to my versioning that this fatal bug could show up, but wanted to issue this warning just in case someone else might be affected as well.
Michael

Hert

Re: Caution when using script "Cascade Meta to Full Version Set for Photo Supreme"

Post by Hert » 25 Feb 19 19:48

The script is now removed from the repository.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Re: Caution when using script "Cascade Meta to Full Version Set for Photo Supreme"

Post by fbungarz » 01 Mar 19 19:20

And unfortunately I did NOT even download the script! Used it directly from the repository...
So, now I finally found a way to fix my "dates-mess", worked on it for several days, whenever I had the time. I am half-way through my catalog, fixing the dates and now...
Could you please at least then enable cascading dates as part of the normal cascading from the main version???
I don't even understand why the script would work differently. Why are dates excluded from being cascaded?
Thanks.
Frank

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Mar 19 20:08

Looking at bimo's findings you should be glad not to use it. I haven't had the chance to look at that script yet. maybe there's nothing wrong with it, maybe there is.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Mar 19 20:21

I've checked that script and as far as I could tell there's nothing wrong with it. I did make a small change to eliminate every possible chance of what bimo reported. The script is available again.

bimo

Post by bimo » 01 Mar 19 22:48

I’ve made some initial tests: up to now no more complaints! I’ll do the final tests tomorrow and report then.
Michael

bimo

Post by bimo » 02 Mar 19 8:28

Actual finding: the timezone is not cascaded! Seems my tests aren't finished yet...
Michael

bimo

Post by bimo » 02 Mar 19 9:49

Still more complicated:

- the date fields seem to be correctly cascaded between the main version (NEF) and a subversion (NEF as well); this is even true for the time zone
- the same main version (NEF) doesn't cascade the DateTimeOriginal (neither time nor time zone) if the subversion is a JPG

to be continued (this afternoon)
Michael

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Mar 19 10:00

I checked what this script is doing and it is calling the same routine as what is called in the application when doing the Cascade.

The benefit of the application cascade option is that you can select which of the 4 segments to cascade, while the script always uses all 4 options ticked. There is no difference: both end up performing the exact same routine.

bimo

Post by bimo » 02 Mar 19 20:13

To me the script seems to be OK although updating the timezone is confusing; at the moment I have no clue why this is but especially the subversions created by Capture NX-2 are suspicious. I will keep an eye on them...

My remarks from 9:49 are not caused by the script but result from an attempt to change the date/time which hasn't (couldn't?) been realized by PSU. Again this happens when certain kinds of subversions are involved where the metadata is very rudimental. I will keep an eye on these as well.
Michael

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 04 Mar 19 16:18

The benefit of the application cascade option is that you can select which of the 4 segments to cascade, while the script always uses all 4 options ticked. There is no difference: both end up performing the exact same routine.
If this is correct, how then do you explain that using the script DOES cascade the photo date, whereas using the built-in cascading from the main version does NOT ???

In my case: if I use the script, the date of a subversion created outside PSu definitely gets "corrected" (i.e., overwritten by the main version's date) IF I use the script. This does NOT happen, however, if I select the main version and then manually cascade not using the script (right-click little arrow at top of version tabs and select cascade from this version with ALL four options selected!).

:?
:?: :?: :?:

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Mar 19 16:28

Maybe it has to do with the specific file you used it on. But if the script works for you then by all means, go ahead and use that. I'm just saying that in the background the exact same thing is called.