Viewing / grouping image bursts.

G8DHE

Viewing / grouping image bursts.

Post by G8DHE » 14 Feb 19 23:50

I wonder if there are many of us here who have a need to view images that occur in Burst mode ?
I do a quite a bit of event photography and often I use Continuous mode shooting on the cameras to generate a burst of images around points of action when interesting events might occur.
However when it comes to sorting and selecting there are no useful products to my knowledge that allow grouping of such bursts into groups either for labelling or selection purposes.

What I'm thinking of is something like the Timeline facility but below the "day" level an option to group images, when separated by a specified time interval say less than 0.5 seconds, less than 1 second less than 1 minute etc. then an image tree would be generated below the day level where two or more images with a date/time of creation were separated by less than the specified amount would be grouped together and displayed, these groups could then be selected for some action to occur, perhaps a Label added, a script run, displayed as an animation or simply one or more of the images selected for further processing in some way.

So I wonder if there might be sufficient demand to propose a new feature ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

fbungarz

Re: Viewing / grouping image bursts.

Post by fbungarz » 15 Feb 19 0:52

Previously in IDI one was able to stack photos, which is not the same as versioning. Versions = derivatives of the same file, Stacks = a bunch of similar files that belong together (= shots of a panorama, image bursts, etc.).
I suspect Hert discontinued the stacking feature, because people were mixing it up constantly with versioning...

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 15 Feb 19 0:53

BTW - a crude way to handle the bursts might be creating a special label category called "image bursts" and simply assign the same "burst" label to a stack of images from the same burst...

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 15 Feb 19 10:07

Indeed, this is a method I have been using but manually finding the start and end of the burst images is the fiddly bit, it takes an inordinate amount of time inspecting the times which is where an automated system for doing the grouping comes in.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)